Dual Degree or Research?

Moleculwiz

Hi,

I am a second-year Biology major (GPA: 4.0), and I am very interested in pursuing graduate studies in Biostatistics. Some of the classes I have taken include Calc I, Calc II, Calc III, Linear Algebra I, Linear Algebra II, Intro to Stats, Intro to Probability, as well as a few programming courses. I plan on taking ten more math courses for a dual degree. However, this plan requires finishing more than five years worth of classes in four years, and I might not have any time for research. What are the chances of getting into a top-tier program with a dual degree and no research experience?

Research isn't a huge deal for statistics except in that it helps you get good letters from people who know your ability.  Your grades in math courses are more important (though the actual addition of the extra degree won't matter that much for admissions, except in that it means you get more coursework).

While research isn't a huge deal, I think it may benefit you more than a dual degree. Assuming your grades were good, your mathematical background is sufficient for biostatistics. I think having strong letters from people who know you personally is great. Take more coursework and keep doing well, that will help more than having a dual degree. 

It's good to start thinking about this early on, good on you.