Undergraduate in need of advice

ranttila1

Hello everyone,

I am currently an dual enrollment high school junior/undergraduate freshman who wants to become a professor; the problem is that I have two disciplines I am very interested in. But to start, a little bit about me. I started reading for enjoyment last year around this time after being inspired by John  Fish and have been reading nonfiction voraciously ever since. It is crazy, but I have read 222 books since last October, almost all nonfiction. I am absolutely at wonder with all the depth that exists out in the world, and would like to make my own contribution. 

The two subjects that interest me the most are epigenetics and early 1800s American intellectual history. I have been researching how to go to the best graduate school (for job placement) and have research lined up with a professor from each area. In epigenetics I am just now starting a project which researches the methylation of a gene and its effect in causing cells to become tumorigenic; in history I have an independent research “class” (for credit, but one-on-one with the professor) promised to me for this spring semester to research how new scientific ideas affected American intellectual thought in the early 1800s (these projects are usually only offered to juniors or seniors). The history professor said that I could start getting into the details with him next week.

So, here is the tough part: I have to choose which path to take. Genetics or American History? Opportunities abound each direction I look, but that makes my decision even more difficult. I have set myself up great for either way, but once I choose what path to take, it is full speed ahead. I’m looking for advice: where to go, what criteria to decide on, or any helpful words you have for an inspired student of learning. 

Edited by ranttila1

You don't need to make a decision now.

Continue to give yourself opportunities to develop both of your interests with the understanding that you may well find a "sweet spot" that enables you to pursue both interests. For example, you may encounter a geneticist or a topic in genetics that has not received adequate coverage from historians. Or, you could come across an enduring historical concept/school of thought that is based upon an anachronistic understanding of the underlying science. Or you could encounter a historical figure who was inspired by an understanding of genetics and a better/fuller understanding of that figure and her contributions require a deep dive into the field. 

(FWIW, one of the most capable historians I've known dual majored in math and history as an undergraduate. After graduating, he decided to get a doctorate in history. He secured a TT job even though he competed for that position against historians who had made a choice much sooner than he had. Is he an exception that proves the rule? A statistical outlier? Or is he an example of what one might achieve if one navigates by one's own ambitions?