GRE Payment -> Error 481?

gradschool2020

I have been holding out on asking about this because I hope I would've gotten this solved by now... but alas here I am.

I am been trying to register for the GRE General Test for weeks now and each time I try to pay, the payment won't go through. It just shows the error 481 every time no matter what payment method or card I used (even Paypal!). I called my bank and they said nothing was wrong on their side so I have been trying to figure if the error is ETS' fault but I haven't heard back since I called last week. They did say other people have been having payment issues when I called. Has anyone else had this issue? I'm really at my wits end here, to the point where I might not even bother taking it since I have to go through all this hassle. :(

Edited by gradschool2020

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Have you guys solved this issue? I tried registering for the Gre early in December 2019 but I ran into the same issue as you guys, then I came back home away from the US for my winter break and I tried registering for the GRE, I tried using a bunch of different credit cards, bank transfer, I tried different browsers and different computers as well and I just can't get past this god damn Error 481. Please let me know if you guys managed to solve this issue.

Hey guys. I was having the exact same problem when trying to pay using an American credit card from outside of the States. I used vpn + paypal instead and it finally worked! Not sure which one did it, because my campus VPN would have routed me through my campus and make it look like I was in the US.

Best of luck to you guys!

• 1 year later...