Failing grade in first year summer term as an international student?

ax062320

Hello everyone, 

I'm an international graduate (English is my second language) who graduated from a top 3 Canadian university in economics and international relations. I have about two years of work experiences and currently applying for policy schools in the U.S. including Harris, SAIS, Cornell, etc..

My question is how much will this failing grade impact my application?

Details:

I failed an English writing course in my first year's summer term (a two-month course instead of regular 4-month course) due to low grades including the mid-term and assignments. (yeah I wasn't prepared to take it in my first year in Canada) .The course is part of the academic writing requirement. In the fall term,  I decided to took an optional pre-requisite course (an easier English writing course that better prepares students for the course I failed but not required) and I received an A-minus. In the spring term next year, I took the course I failed before and received a B-plus. 

So it would be great to know how much will this failing grade impact my applications in those schools I mentioned above?

Thank you so much!