Is it possible to ask for an extension for the decision making deadline?

tip3r

Hi

My fiancee and I have both applied to graduate schools. We will be international students and we cannot be separated. We have each been admitted to a number of schools, but there is only one school which we have both been admitted to. We will both be needing funding (we cannot afford the tuition). The school we were both admitted to was our 'safe choice'. I will call this school #1. There is another school, school #2, which I have received an TA/RA offer from while my fiancee has not received any funding yet. School #2 is SIGNIFICANTLY better than school #1. The professor at school #2 who has given me an offer says that she is positive that she will be able to get funding for my fiancee but she will likely not be able to make her an offer before April 15th.

We cannot turn down the offer from school #1 if we do not hear from school #2 before April 15th. I wont rely on the professors word. Although she seems to be reliable, I have had a bad experience from relying solely on a professor's word.

Is it possible for me to ask for an extension from school #1? Will it have any consequences?

What would you do if you were in my place? remember this is the situation: both of you need financial aid, and both of you must be at the same university.

Everyone tells me to accept the offer from school #1 and school #2 and turn down one of them later on depending on whether or not my fiancee receives an offer. I do not wish to do this. I know that this is wrong, and that there are people waiting for me to decline one of my offers. I actually KNOW someone waiting for me to turn down my offer from school #1. Moreover, the professor in school #1 has been incredibly nice and helpful to both of us.

I have already told the professor at school #2 that I will turn down the offer if my fiancee doesn't receive funding. I was thinking that if I school #1 gives me an extension, I would accept the offer from school #2 and wait for my fiancee to receive an offer.

BTW, both are PhD programs.

I asked for an extra month to wait for offers to come in and was granted it. If they honestly want you bad enough then they will grant you the extension.

Who did you request it from? the dean? or the professor you would be working with?

What did you say? did you bring specific reasons?

It would be great if this works but I would need to be granted two extensions (one from school #1, another from school #2) and my fiancee would need one from school #1. I hope that's possible.

I was thinking of saying that I haven't received word from a number of the schools I applied to and I would like to wait another week or two before making the decision.

However, this does sound like I'm saying that I'm trying as hard as possible to go anywhere else!!

I emailed the DGS and explained that I was waiting for some more offers to come in. If they want you then they will grant it. But these guys made me a little mad they accepted me in March and gave me a two week deadline to accept the offer.

I'm in the same boat right now too. I'm still waiting on my first choice school and I was actually told by a staff member that I should be part of the group to receive a final review. If I made it past that final review, then I'm in basically.

I'd just accept School #2. Fortune favors the bold. And Job placement favors the better program.

So are you saying that you would accept both schools #1 or #2? Or screw your fiancee?

I was about to ask for an extension last week. I logged into my email address to send the email and I saw that I have an email from the professor at school #1 trying to rush me into accepting the offer. The professor my fiancee will be working with has also emailed her asking her to make up her mind.

Because of this I didn't ask for an extension. But now I'm starting to think that I'm going to regret it if I don't.

Does anyone have any ideas about what I should write in an email asking for an extension? How should I say this without making it sound like I wanna increase my chances of going anywhere but school #1?

I was thinking that if I school #1 gives me an extension, I would accept the offer from school #2 and wait for my fiancee to receive an offer.

Don't do this! If for some reason you end up having to turn down #2 after accepting their offer it looks really bad. See if you can get an extension from both schools. It looks like school #2 already knows your situation so it should be a little easier to get an extension from them.

Edit: Has your fiancee been accepted to #2 but just not heard about funding yet? If #2 is that much better, would it be possible to make it a year off of loans if you accept #2 and then find out she doesn't have funding?

Edited by Slarti

Don't do this! If for some reason you end up having to turn down #2 after accepting their offer it looks really bad. See if you can get an extension from both schools. It looks like school #2 already knows your situation so it should be a little easier to get an extension from them.

Edit: Has your fiancee been accepted to #2 but just not heard about funding yet? If #2 is that much better, would it be possible to make it a year off of loans if you accept #2 and then find out she doesn't have funding?

Well I didn't exactly mean accepting the offer from school #2. The professor who has offered me TA/RA is aware of the situation.

My fiancee has been accepted and is waiting for funding. The problem is that we are international applicants and it is difficult to get a visa if you don't have funding.

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use