Audiology 2020 (Canadian Schools - UBC, Western, Dalhousie)

Dynastes hercules

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
Guest mimamoo

Stay away from the UBC program – its faculty are mostly very disorganized and ineffective teachers and they do not give a rat's tutu to student learning. Speaking as someone who went through it. Be warned.

On 2/15/2020 at 2:44 PM, mimamoo said:

Stay away from the UBC program – its faculty are mostly very disorganized and ineffective teachers and they do not give a rat's tutu to student learning. Speaking as someone who went through it. Be warned.

Current UBC SLP student here; I can’t speak for the audiology students, clearly, but based on my interactions with them I would say this is not the shared general opinion about the program. Personally, the instructors I’ve had for my audiology courses have all been very knowledgeable about the field and passionate about student success. It’s totally possible that you may have less-than-positive interactions with faculty at some point or another, but I don’t think it’s fair to characterize them as disorganized and ineffective as a whole. 

I feel like on a forum like this one, a vague warning does more harm than good since it just contributes to already-present anxieties regarding the whole stressful application process. It would be unfortunate for someone on this forum to feel like their accomplishment of getting into this highly competitive program is diminished because of a comment like this. 

On 1/17/2020 at 2:02 PM, purplepandas said:

Hi!

Just found this forum and would like to add to it! I have applied this year to Western and U Ottawa for Audiology and have been notified that they have both received my applications.... ahhhh so scared! Has anyone else applied to any of these two? 

I have!!! What is ur sgpa and cgpa if you dont mind sharing? And do you know if they weigh more the pre requisite classes?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there! I’ve recently read through this thread and noticed a lot of you were accepted to Canadian audiology programs, congratulations! I am looking to apply this fall and am wondering what you would all suggest to do for my application to increase the chance of acceptance.

For the past 60 credits I have a 3.99 GPA and am looking to do some volunteer work under an audiologist in town. I am writing the GRE this summer and will have strong reference letters from my professors. Do you think it would be necessary to have do an honors thesis? I’m considering whether or not to do one as I can graduate a semester early if I chose not too and will then have some time to save up!

Any and all comments are appreciated, thank you :)

On 3/22/2020 at 2:12 AM, Psyctoaudiology said:

Hi there! I’ve recently read through this thread and noticed a lot of you were accepted to Canadian audiology programs, congratulations! I am looking to apply this fall and am wondering what you would all suggest to do for my application to increase the chance of acceptance.

For the past 60 credits I have a 3.99 GPA and am looking to do some volunteer work under an audiologist in town. I am writing the GRE this summer and will have strong reference letters from my professors. Do you think it would be necessary to have do an honors thesis? I’m considering whether or not to do one as I can graduate a semester early if I chose not too and will then have some time to save up!

Any and all comments are appreciated, thank you :)

Hi there, 

I am currently finishing up my first year in Audiology at Western. I didn't do an honors thesis and some of my classmates didn't either. I think you should focus on volunteering in an audiology clinic and try to incorporate your volunteering experience in your personal statement. 

Best of luck!

On 1/17/2020 at 11:02 AM, purplepandas said:

Hi!

Just found this forum and would like to add to it! I have applied this year to Western and U Ottawa for Audiology and have been notified that they have both received my applications.... ahhhh so scared! Has anyone else applied to any of these two? 

Hello, 

I applied to the UWO Audiology! I guess we will hear about our results on April 1. Fingers crossed!

Just found out that I've been offered admission to the PhD program in Audiology at UWO! Waiting to hear back from Dal for the thesis track of their MSc program! :) 

2 hours ago, Dynastes hercules said:

I am accepted to the MScCl- Aud at Western :)

Hey, I am accepted into MScCl- Aud at Western as well! Nice to meet, I will soon be creating a Facebook group, similar to what last year's group did, in order to effectively communicate with everyone.

On 3/31/2020 at 1:01 PM, MEM15 said:

Just found out that I've been offered admission to the PhD program in Audiology at UWO! Waiting to hear back from Dal for the thesis track of their MSc program! :)

Congrats! Hopefully you are a future class mate of ours :)

1 hour ago, CanAud2020 said:

I have accepted the offer for Audiology at Western too! Keep me updated when the Facebook page gets created ?

1 hour ago, purplepandas said:

Accepted my offer from Western as well!!! so excited to meet you all in the fall!

Hey! Can both of you check your personal message? Thanks

23 hours ago, CanAud2020 said:

I have accepted the offer for Audiology at Western too! Keep me updated when the Facebook page gets created ?

23 hours ago, purplepandas said:

Accepted my offer from Western as well!!! so excited to meet you all in the fall!

On 4/4/2020 at 6:14 PM, Kvalatutti said:

Hey, I am accepted into MScCl- Aud at Western as well! Nice to meet, I will soon be creating a Facebook group, similar to what last year's group did, in order to effectively communicate with everyone.

On 4/4/2020 at 3:24 PM, Dynastes hercules said:

I am accepted to the MScCl- Aud at Western :)

On 3/31/2020 at 1:01 PM, MEM15 said:

Hey guys, Ive created a FB page. Its called UWO Audiology.

https://www.facebook.com/UWO-Audiology-109653377363891/

Edited by RedRose
adding a link

Hello, for those who have been waitlisted for Dalhousie, I just rejected my offer as I have chosen to go to Western. Another spot open! 

This is my second year applying, I was waitlisted at Western last year. This year, I was accepted to both of the universities I applied to. So for those of you who have been waitlisted, do not give up :)