Changing grad programs

NewGradSchool

I recently started a PhD program, and after much thought I’ve come to the conclusion that I want to transfer. The program is extremely small, and the research here isn’t as exciting as I thought it would be. Does anyone have any insight to what it is like on transferring to a new graduate program?

2 hours ago, NewGradSchool said:

Does anyone have any insight to what it is like on transferring to a new graduate program?

FWIW, I "transferred" from one school to another. In retrospect, it was a yuge mistake for which I am 100% responsible--I failed to do an adequate amount of due diligence on the POI I wanted to work with.. And I was following my heart.

The parts that I did get right were these: 

• I got a master's at my original school with the report option. The report helped me to get the job I now have and serves as a silken cover for the bed of rocks I sleep on every night.
  • I kept my advisers in the loop so there were no surprises.
  • I got lucky. My new department really wanted me to come and nominated me for a generous fellowship.

TLDR. Stay where you are long enough to get a master's degree. Do your due diligence on where you want to go. Do an emotional balance check (or three thousand) if your constellation of motivational factors includes relational goals.

Did any of that sound bitter? I'm not bitter.