SAIC post-bac and Burren PhD

Doctor Ackula

First, what's the deal with SAIC's post-baccalaureate program?

I wasn't accepted to SAIC's MFA program, but was interviewed for the post baccalaureate program. The website says that anyone not accepted to the MFA is considered for the post bac. Could they have interviewed everyone who didn't get in? The interviewer told me that they admit about 15 students (per department?) a year to the one-year program, which seems strangely tiny for a school with 700 grad students. My general question isn't more specific than, "What's the deal?" Why is it so small? Should I expect to get in, having been asked to apply and interviewed? Does it mean anything that I was asked to schedule an interview immediately? Has anyone gone though this at SAIC or elsewhere?

Secondarily, what's the deal with Burren in Ireland?

How well respected is it? If I stayed on to get a studio PhD, would it make any difference in the US?

I have never heard of Burren...until you just mentioned them. I spent a summer in Ireland and did a study abroad there. But, their academic partners (SAIC, Royal College of Art) are impressive. Maybe that's a better bet...Have you already been accepted?

Usually a stateside program will offer post-bac if they feel you need to develop your body of work. Some people feel it's a scam, but some people need that time and direction. Maybe all who have been denied admission, who wish to apply are considered, but I know it isn't offered to everyone. My friend got to the final interview stage at MICA and was denied admission, but was told she was too advanced for post-bac. So....Dunno.

She might do the VCU Summer and apply again next year.

First, what's the deal with SAIC's post-baccalaureate program?

I wasn't accepted to SAIC's MFA program, but was interviewed for the post baccalaureate program. The website says that anyone not accepted to the MFA is considered for the post bac. Could they have interviewed everyone who didn't get in? The interviewer told me that they admit about 15 students (per department?) a year to the one-year program, which seems strangely tiny for a school with 700 grad students. My general question isn't more specific than, "What's the deal?" Why is it so small? Should I expect to get in, having been asked to apply and interviewed? Does it mean anything that I was asked to schedule an interview immediately? Has anyone gone though this at SAIC or elsewhere?

Secondarily, what's the deal with Burren in Ireland?

How well respected is it? If I stayed on to get a studio PhD, would it make any difference in the US?

Hi Doc -- I don't think the 15 students stat apples to all concentrations; more likely it's for a specific department. I've heard (mainly from SAIC) that this is a very strong program. I've also heard (again from SAIC) that the drawing/painting post-bacs automatically get an interview in the next year's MFA admissions. Lastly, don't think you're burning any bridges by not attending. I was offered the post-bac program, decided to wait, reapplied three years later, and got into the MFA program. You're probably in good shape if you've been asked to interview for post-bac.

There are a LOT of folks posting herein, that would have you believe that the Post Bacc program--in principle--is simply an attempt on the school's behalf to rob you of your money. Don't listen to this. Matter of fact, don't listen very seriously to anyone who purports to know the facts, straight up, no ifs, ands, or buts.

Let's take SAIC, for example, since they've already come up in this conversation. Their MFA program in Visual Communications has a "Pre-MFA" that is the PostBacc program WITH the 2-year MFA program--all rolled into one. Successful completion of the PostBacc year (as long as you don't screw it up royally) is an automatic entry into the MFA program.

The reason the PostBacc exists has already been explained, so I won't belabor the point. This extra year can be a real advantage, if you choose to sign up for it. If the money is a concern, make your decisions accordingly, but don't let the cost (and the sinking feeling you are being screwed over--you're not) steer you away. The admissions committee that extends the PostBacc recommendation DOES see the strength in your work. However, the weaknesses--whatever they are--are also evident. Usually, these weak areas can be "fixed" during the PB.

Also, if you see the PB as "an extra year" tacked on to a 2-year MFA program, remember that there are a number of schools whose programs are already set at 3 total years. I've heard from many of my faculty contacts that 3 years is always a safe bet for a successful and productive graduate experience.

Also, if you see the PB as "an extra year" tacked on to a 2-year MFA program, remember that there are a number of schools whose programs are already set at 3 total years. I've heard from many of my faculty contacts that 3 years is always a safe bet for a successful and productive graduate experience.

This is a really good point. My program is 3 years.

Edited by littlenova

It hadn't occurred to me that the post-bac might be a ripoff. Somehow I doubt SAIC, with like 2000 students needs to con that extra little bit from like 80 extra students.

I was already leaning toward SAIC, assuming get in, since I didn't get in to the school I really wanted (CCA). The idea that it's no different from a 3-year program gives that idea a little push.

I'll be visiting both in the next week or so (hopefully), so I'll probably post what I decide whether or not anyone cares.

I interviewed at SAIC for painting/drawing. When I got my rejection letter in the mail a few weeks later, they offered me admission into the post-bac. SAIC interviews about 100 out of 500 painting applicants and accepts about 25 out of that 100?? They said I needed the post-bac to learn stuff I need to know in order to be a good MFA applicant, which is a good point because I do not have a bfa and have only taken a handful of studio art classes. Hoever, I was accepted into other schools and chose an MFA program over post-bac.

• 2 weeks later...

It hadn't occurred to me that the post-bac might be a ripoff. Somehow I doubt SAIC, with like 2000 students needs to con that extra little bit from like 80 extra students.

I was already leaning toward SAIC, assuming get in, since I didn't get in to the school I really wanted (CCA). The idea that it's no different from a 3-year program gives that idea a little push.

I'll be visiting both in the next week or so (hopefully), so I'll probably post what I decide whether or not anyone cares.

Hey! Did you hear back yet? Did you like your tour of SAIC. I got into the post bac program and plan on going. Wondering what your status is??? Maybe we will be classmates!!

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

I studied abroad in the burren and I seriously regret not applying there for my grad program. They are great, but only for certain people. You need to love and appreciate a small town and be able to be appropriate with the towns people. If you want to be able to party through grad school, this is not the place. The profs are from all over and are great and it's super small and close.