Help!?! help me decide

AshleyTri

Question

Hi guys,

This is not a relationship or dating question 

I’m kindly ask you for advice because it’s been 6 months deciding which path should I take and as of today I’m still undecided. Giving me your advice would be a big help.

So I just recently became an Accountant last May and I’m now working at a job which I don’t really like. The benefit really doesn’t outweigh the cost and I’m not having a work life balance because we are leaving the office at 12am and have to get back by 7am. What is worse is we are not being paid well. So I’m definitely leaving my job this month.

My mom just told me that it’s better to learn something new and not just to work 24/7. She told me that she will let me decide whether to take law and stay in my country or to pursue a master’s degree abroad and I should make my decision by December

I’m actually having a hard time which path I should take because every option has its pros and cons. I’m actually deciding whether to find a job opportunity abroad or to stay in my country and work here while studying law. The reason why I wanted to go abroad is because I feel more free when I’m with the people who are different. I would feel less judgement because some people really woudn’t understand why you’re doing something unlike when you are in your country where you have the same belief with others and you are more likely to be judged. It’s like siblings with the different gender are less likely to fight compared to the same gender. You understand? Also, it’s because working there could give me more cash inflow. Getting International currency because of my job could give me more cash if translated to my country which I could possibly give more to my parents and I will pursue a master’s degree there. The things that I didn’t like about this is that I would be separated from my family especially my parents. They mean so much to me especially my mom and going abroad will left me thinking and wondering how they are. They are already on their 60’s and I should do my best to be always there for them right? I dunno and I would not be able to do that If I would go abroad. 

On the other hand, If I chose to stay here and pursue law while working. A good advantage for that is that I’m also going to become a lawyer which both of my parents are. It’s nice because I was primed by myself, my friends, relatives that in the future I’m going to be a lawyer. And staying here and working means that I will be there with my family to be there for them. Of course I know what it feels if you are already a parent and your son is not with you side right? specially if you’re a senior. But the disadvantage is that, I would not be able to help them financially because every employees here in our country is very very low and if you’re lucky you could make a good living for yourself only especially if you’re just a startup. Also, taking passing the bar exam is less likely to happen because of the small amount of passing rate around 17%. Getting a Master’s degree abroad is more doable.

My brother actually told me that the first one is the better option but my friends told me the the second option is better

What do you guys think? if you are in my shoes, which path should you take?

3 answers to this question

Hard to say, in this case it's more along the lines of what your interests are. I looked at international schools when I was looking to apply; however I didn't want to take out loans so I went straight into a PhD (can only do this in America and I believe some Canadian universities). If you're looking to move back home when you're done, then you'll have to also consider what the job prospects look like at home. I.E. I have many friends from Iran who come here (America) to study, and they all get degrees in either mechanical/electrical/chemical engineering since that's what's hot back in Iran.