Oxford Writing Sample Topics

btermite

After searching the StudentRoom, I have found very little information on this and would be very grateful to any advice people have to offer. My apologies in advance for a slightly long-winded question, I am just eager to get this done as it is the last part of my application that I need to complete!

I am applying to an MPhil in Comparative Government at Oxford hoping to start next fall. 

You are asked to submit two writing samples with a maximum of 2,000 words each (which in itself is incredibly frustrating as I have a couple long papers I would prefer to submit in their entirety). The prompt states: “you should submit academic essays on any subject or theme within the discipline of politics, but preferably ones that relate to your proposed field of study.”

In my degree I am hoping to somewhat combine comparative politics and political theory on democracy. I have pretty strong essays in both subfields the of comparative politics/IR and political theory but am debating several things.

1) Would it be best to submit one essay on comparative, and one on political theory? My thinking is that it shows some knowledge etc. in both areas. 

2) Alternatively, should I submit two essays in comparative politics/IR since they seem to have a preference towards the specific subfield to which you are applying.

If I am better doing one from each area, I am faced with another question. The best essay I think I have ever written is on Derrida and falls within political theory. But it’s not focused on “democracy” whatsoever. I wrote it while I was a visiting student at Oxford, and am wondering if this essay be good to submit? Or am I better doing a paper more focused specifically on questions of democracy?

Thank you for any help or potential insight, or even for just making your way through this long question!