Econ masters without undergrad econ major

earthtreks

Anyone know of well regarded programs that allow for this? Both in and out of the US. 

I studied International Affairs during undergrad and took intro to micro, intro to macro, and international econ. But that's about it. I know many econ masters are hard to get into if you don't have an econ background, so I was wondering if anyone here has made that transition successfully. 

• 8 months later...

This reply may be quite late, but I know that in Canada they typically want 4 classes each for micro, 4 each for macro, and 2 for econometrics minimum for MA admissions. Even if you are 1 class short fro each, at least in Canada math/stats majors with strong grades transfer OK. A few universities like McGill and UAlberta also accept what's called a "foundation year" for students from any discipline, where you spend a year doing 8 advanced undergrad classes and then go into masters. It's a year extra, but the upsides are 1) you pay grad fees for undergrad courses; and 2) do 4 courses each term instead of 5. Some departments may even prefer FY students because in doing an extra year they show commitment. 

If you are really interested in this field then it might be worth a try.