SLP Grad School

eeh123

Question

Hello! 

I am getting concerned about applying to grad school with a low cumulative GPA. By the end of the year (I am a senior) it should be between  3.15 or 3.30. My major GPA should be between a 3.45 to a 3.60. I switched into the major after working towards a kinesiology degree (heavy chemisty/physics/biomechanics type courses). I struggled in that major, I was also working two jobs and going to school at the same time and didn't feel like I saw a future in that field so my junior year I found out about communication disorders and switched last year. I am participating in NSSHLA and research in an aphasia lab this year. I have worked as a personal care assistant for a nonverbal child, I have interned at a speech private practice (and was offered an SLPA job there for next year). I am planning to apply to grad schools next fall while I am working as an SLPA but I am very concerned about getting in. An online program would be ideal and I don't know if those are easier to get into? I have not taken the GRE's but plan to do summer 2020. Please let me know if you have any schools in mind that may be a good option for me to consider or if you have been in a similar position as I am in! I really appreciate any input. 

1 answer to this question

19 minutes ago, eeh123 said:

Hello! 

I am getting concerned about applying to grad school with a low cumulative GPA. By the end of the year (I am a senior) it should be between  3.15 or 3.30. My major GPA should be between a 3.45 to a 3.60. I switched into the major after working towards a kinesiology degree (heavy chemisty/physics/biomechanics type courses). I struggled in that major, I was also working two jobs and going to school at the same time and didn't feel like I saw a future in that field so my junior year I found out about communication disorders and switched last year. I am participating in NSSHLA and research in an aphasia lab this year. I have worked as a personal care assistant for a nonverbal child, I have interned at a speech private practice (and was offered an SLPA job there for next year). I am planning to apply to grad schools next fall while I am working as an SLPA but I am very concerned about getting in. An online program would be ideal and I don't know if those are easier to get into? I have not taken the GRE's but plan to do summer 2020. Please let me know if you have any schools in mind that may be a good option for me to consider or if you have been in a similar position as I am in! I really appreciate any input. 

you can def get in, just make sure to apply to schools that accept people at a large with your stats. be practical, dont be like some people who have a 3.0 gpa and you apply to schools where the majority going there are 4.0, stick with where you know you have a chance. I had a similar situation as you, but my experience and paper made up for it. i got in to my top school and i love it. also a program is a program, dont get caught up in names. go where its cheapest and save money.

good luck