Best MSW Programs to Maximize Scholarship Potential

SMLDC

Hey everyone -- I am planning on applying this cycle for MSW programs starting in Fall 2020. This will be my second master's degree; I previously graduated with an MPH. With this being my second professional graduate degree, I am hoping to keep out-of-pocket expenses much lower than my MPH, which I completed fresh out of undergrad. I have been trying to narrow my list of schools based on a number of factors, including the number and perceivable generosity of merit scholarships. 

Any perspective about the following MSW programs with respect to merit aid (not loans) vs. cost of attendance would be much appreciated! (Feel free to also use this thread to vet other schools on the same topic.)

• University of Michigan
  • Smith College
  • University of Chicago
  • University of Pittsburgh
  • Ohio State University
  • Boston University
  • University of Pennsylvania
  • Washington University in St. Louis

Thanks!

Hi There!

I also applied to MSW programs for Fall 2020. I applied to 6 schools and have 2 more I am consindering finishing my applications for. Although, I feel mentally drained from rewriting my personal statement so many times.

I heared UC gives atleast $5k a year toalot of students, and some range to $20k a year. I also read somewhere they almost never give complete full rides.

UMich has an amazing program, the living costs in Ann Arbor are very expensive though. I also heard they offer a decent amount of merit scholarships, but again I haven't found anywhere where they would pay the entire program.

Also I've read BU has covered up to 50% tuition for some students on past forums. That was also the Max I seen.

Not sure if any of this has been helpful, but I am also still trying to figure out alot of factors for Grad school.

Oh, this is very helpful! Even this context from a few schools keeps UC and BU on my list. I think U of M is my top choice, though my decision will largely be based on financial aid.

Let me know if there are any questions you have about programs. Not sure if I can be helpful, but it's worth a shot.

UMich is solid. I actually just moved from MI to IL last year. I have a couple friends who graduated from there, I’ll see if I can get more Info on the MSW program if you have specific questions. 

Yeah I do have a couple questions, maybe you can help. 

Im worried about being a career changer with almsot no SW experience, although I’ve been accepted into two programs, do you think there’s a slim shot for some of the top 10 programs?

• 2 months later...

I have several friends who went to UPenn who told me to steer clear because the price tag was not worth it, and to go where I get the most scholarship/assistantship opportunity. I also was very unimpressed on the phone conversation I had with Penn, and the pretentiousness they had with saying "IF you're offered admission.." every other sentence. That plus my intense fear of being in debt forever, I applied to Widener and West Chester (I'm in-state for PA) as they had the most options for assistantship/scholarship/tuition. 

Edited by SageAdvice

I got an 8,000 scholarship from University of Pittsburgh without a lot of background in social work.  They have several fellowships that pertain to the health field that have money attached to them.