Making an appealing CV? (English Lit MA)

Hi! I posted a few weeks back asking for program recommendations (English Lit MA/some English PhD), and now that I'm in the process of working on applications, I was hoping for a few tips on crafting a good CV. A lot of advice I'm finding online for creating grad school CVs is either a little too generic or a little too specific (i.e., for MBAs), so I was hoping for some tips from people who actually have experience making English-specific ones.

I particularly have questions about including employment history. I basically have held three different jobs since 2013 (admin assistant, office assistant, then most recently writing tutor), and am at the moment doing contract work. I have volunteering and nonprofit fundraising experience mixed in with that as well, and my admin and office assistant jobs overlapped a bit towards the end of the former as they were both part time. Again, I'm applying to English Literature Masters programs. Should I focus primarily on my academic achievements--honors societies, papers presented, honors seminars--and just list the tutoring and one of my assistant jobs, since this is a CV and not a resume? Should I even bother including a section for contract work (which has basically been proofreading, my job search has been...stressful), since it's not like it's full-time or anything like that? Does contract work look bad even if it's alongside volunteering? Would a weird gap between when I graduated/my campus tutoring job ended and when I submit my application look worse?

And one last very specific question: shortly after I graduated I signed up to audit a few free online English classes through Harvard, because it seemed fun and I missed school. I didn't pay the fee for an official certificate (too expensive!), so it basically was just reading along with the course syllabus and looking at discussion questions. Is this worth including? I can't tell whether it looks more like dedication or plain and simple padding, haha.

Thanks in advance!

Honestly, the admissions committee probably isn't going to care one way or another if you include work experience. Since most people don't have a whole lot to put on the CVs when applying to grad school, I think it usually makes sense to include work experience. It gives a more well-rounded sense of the applicant and makes for a nicer looking CV. The writing center work would also be relevant and is definitely worth including. If your CV is over 2 pages, you can probably cut most of the employment stuff though. I sincerely doubt the admissions committee is spending much time with CVs. 

13 hours ago, mariaem said:

And one last very specific question: shortly after I graduated I signed up to audit a few free online English classes through Harvard, because it seemed fun and I missed school. I didn't pay the fee for an official certificate (too expensive!), so it basically was just reading along with the course syllabus and looking at discussion questions. Is this worth including? I can't tell whether it looks more like dedication or plain and simple padding, haha.

That doesn't seem like it really belongs on your CV. Without a certificate, it's not really any different than you doing lots of individual reading outside of class. If it shaped the way you conceive of your academic interests then MAYBE you could talk about that in your SOP, otherwise leave it out.

I sense you may be spending too much time thinking about the CV. Focus on the SOP and writing sample instead. Those are what will actually determine your admissions success.

43 minutes ago, Glasperlenspieler said:

I sense you may be spending too much time thinking about the CV. Focus on the SOP and writing sample instead. Those are what will actually determine your admissions success.

I do have the writing sample and am working on my SOPs—I was basically just stumped by how much work experience matters on the CV, since I’ve only made resumes before. (I promise I’m not spending all my time worrying about this LOL.) Thank you for the advice!

Edited by mariaem

I've gotten a firm no on including outside jobs on my CV from my letter writers. Maybe there's an exception for a writing center/ tutor. I put volunteer activities under "service." 

One application I've completed (Harvard's bizarro application) asked for my entire work history, year by year, specifically asking for all part-time jobs. That took a bit to fill out.