When to ask about Transfer Credits??

alanapsci

Question, to all those that have gotten in. When do you begin to ask if the school will accept credit from the MA classes you took? I have heard that many schools will either take none or just a few? Should you ask before you find out about funding or wait? Should you wait until you accept? I think it would be important to know if I had to choose between two schools since transfer credits would make my actual time in classes less and the Ph.D. faster.

What do you think?

Thanks! :)

I'm in the same situation as you, and having some credits transfer over to my new program matters a lot to me. I've basically gone ahead and asked about transfer credits once I was accepted, I think departments understand why it matters and how it influences our decision making process, so I definitely say to ask soon - it'll help a lot!

Thanks! I guess I will shoot them an email in a few weeks. Just giving them a few weeks to decide about funding but once mid-March rolls around I need to know about those credits!

Does anyone know the average number of credits taken from an MA program?

Thanks! I guess I will shoot them an email in a few weeks. Just giving them a few weeks to decide about funding but once mid-March rolls around I need to know about those credits!

Does anyone know the average number of credits taken from an MA program?

There is not really an average per se, each school is different, although from looking on people's websites two or three classes would be what you could expect, granted they are directly translatable (both in content and in difficulty) to something that is offered at your new school...