Recommendations for universities with strong probability faculty.

Taxxi

Hello, I am planning to apply for PhD programs with strong faculty in probability(either in connection with combinatorics, random matrices, or stochastic calculus). I am also interested in mathematical statistics.

The thing is, depending on university, the probability faculties are either mostly presented in Department of Mathematics or in Department of Statistics, or both. Basically I am running through lists of universities to check whether I have to apply for mathematics or statistics in each case. I am genuinely interested in statistics as well(regressions, time series, nonparametric, Bayesian, theoretical stuff)  so my main targets are universities that have good ranking in both mathematics and statistics, though I am thinking of making some exceptions (e.x. I heard NYU Department of Mathematics is perhaps the strongest in probability). @Stat PhD Now Postdoc recommend me Upenn Department of Statistics and I found it a fantastic choice, thank you very much!

I would be really appreciated if you advise me along this path with more recommendations. I have already selected a few but want to hear your opinions. I do not mind either department of mathematics or statistics. Thank you very much for your help.

Edited by Taxxi

For Statistics programs, I would recommend checking out Stanford, UPenn Wharton, UC Berkeley, and UNC Chapel Hill. These all have some really great faculty in probability theory.

I think with your profile (lots of math courses and a strong GPA from one of the top universities in South Korea), you have a great shot for UNC-CH STOR. The others on this list are extremely competitive for international students, but you should have a decent chance. Try to get strong recommendation letters from faculty who know you well, can write that you are one of the top students, and can point to specific examples of your research potential, etc. 

Edited by Stat PhD Now Postdoc

@Stat PhD Now Postdoc Your advice is always spot on, thank you so much for the details you have provided! I have checked UNC-CH and found that it has a dedicated "probability group" in the STOR department. It looks absolutely fascinating to me.

As for the recommendation letters, I cannot do much as someone who had to work after graduation, haha. Financial problem sucks, but honestly I learned much from working (real life experience, meeting with many people, working together, programming etc etc) so I cannot complain. I guess it's something I have to bear.

That being said, I would love to hear your opinions about relatively "safe bets" for me. I'm thinking of choosing one or two from the pool.

Edited by Taxxi

@bayessays Ah, now I found that both UNC and MSU were recommended by you before. Everything is great about the university except that it seems like the deadline for application is December 1, 2019(the page says 2018 for some reason...) I guess I have to hurry up, really.

I wonder if I can regard MSU to be a relatively safe bet? I am thinking of finding one more university of that tier.

• 3 weeks later...

I like your choices but you are missing a few excellent places that are worth a shot. If you are interested in probability/stats, I would remove Purdue/TAMU/Indiana/UCI from your list. I would add Courant/Chicago/Northwestern. In probability, they beat most of the schools in your list in terms of pure research quality as they have incredible faculty in the field (Newman/Bourgade/Lawler/Smart/Auffinger/Zelditch/...). Their grad students have a record of finding top post-doc positions. Furthermore, location-wise it is hard to beat NYC and Chicago/Evanston if you like to live in a big city. 

In OR, you may want to consider MIT and Princeton.