Personal Statement - Medical History

I am applying to a medical sciences phd program and want to join a specific lab that studies a specific dietary intervention for various diseases. I went to college right out of high school and dropped out...twice...due to a severe chronic illness that began in high school. After ten years of nothing helping, I went on this dietary intervention and now I experience no symptoms of the disease. I found out about the dietary intervention from the PI of the lab I am applying for. Should I mention all of this in my personal statement?

They do ask specifically for a personal statement, not a statement of purpose, but it asks for: Research background, why you are selecting this specific program, future career goals upon completing the program. 

Also, should I address how the disease resulted in my poor academic history? I don't know how to address this without making it a sob story. 

I am having a similar issue, I had to withdraw twice as well because I missed so much class due to medical issues and I don't know how to bring it up without it sounding like an excuse. Some of the schools I am applying to allow you to write a short secondary statement explaining any additional info, esp explanations that are not included in your statement. While I think it would be worth it to briefly mention how much this type of intervention helped your condition seeing as how it is directly related to the lab you want to be involved with, I would see if you could have the bulk of your explanation of its affects be in a separate statement if possible. My issues were not directly related to the field I'm pursuing so it will be tricky, but I think I am just going to try to keep it general since it's so personal and want the focus to be on eventually overcoming it, not that I was originally a lackluster student. Good luck!