Berkeley - late recommender

AvantGardener

Question

Hi everyone-

I just got an email from one of my recommenders saying they'll be submitting my recommendation to UC Berkeley a day late. Does anyone know if this hurts my chances (for Berkeley specifically)? Help! Thank you!

2 answers to this question

I know nothing about Berkeley specifically (and I think no one here would know - even having a different admin assistant from last year could change these little details). Generally, most schools allow a few extra days for materials to come in, especially LORs since they're out of your control (also think about international students applying from the other end of the earth with >12 hr time differences).

I'd recommend emailing the admin/director to let them know about the situation, and have them confirm that the late letter will be included in your profile. It's unlikely they're discussing all applications Mon 8AM, but if for some reason they already printed all of them out in advance, writing that email may make sure they also print out the new letter as it comes in.

I had a third rec letter that was >3 days for a number of schools, and I think I was still fine for at least one of them.

Same thing here - my recommender submitted my letter the morning after the deadline for Berkeley.\

Like DRMF said, the best course of action would be to contact the admissions admin informing them of the late letter.

I've also heard of situations of strong app who were shortlisted but missing a LOR. The admissions committee contacted them asking them to provide the missing letter.