Taking classes at neighboring schools (DC Area)

I've heard that most of the DC area schools allow you to take courses at other DC area schools as part of their program, but I have never seen any details on how this actually works. How many students actually take advantage of this? How do you do it? Does your funding at your main school cover a class at another? And most of all... I'm sure the students who actually go to a school receive priority over you, so how do you even find classes that would be open to you? Should you do this during the summer or winter sessions?

Also, I'm considering Maryland and Georgetown for MPP, and strongly leaning toward Maryland for the money they are offering me. So if anyone knows information specific to how Maryland does this, I would love it! I'm planning on requesting more information on this from them, so I will post that here when I get a reply.

I've heard that most of the DC area schools allow you to take courses at other DC area schools as part of their program, but I have never seen any details on how this actually works. How many students actually take advantage of this? How do you do it? Does your funding at your main school cover a class at another? And most of all... I'm sure the students who actually go to a school receive priority over you, so how do you even find classes that would be open to you? Should you do this during the summer or winter sessions?

Also, I'm considering Maryland and Georgetown for MPP, and strongly leaning toward Maryland for the money they are offering me. So if anyone knows information specific to how Maryland does this, I would love it! I'm planning on requesting more information on this from them, so I will post that here when I get a reply.

The web site for the consortium is http://www.consortium.org/consortium/index.cfm. Here's what the site says:

How to Cross-register

Students planning to cross-register should contact the Consortium Coordinator located in the office of the Registrar at

their home institution to obtain a Consortium Registration Form and to discuss their rights and responsibilities as a

visiting student. Before processing cross-registration, students are responsible for obtaining the requisite campus

approvals for the course they wish to take. At the conclusion of the cross-registration process, students receive a

stamped, initialed copy of the Consortium Registration Form, which they retain as proof of registration and for

identification on the campus of the visited institution.

Cross-registration Regulations

The academic regulations and calendar of a student's home institution determine how and when the student may

process cross-registration for another Consortium institution. Students who cross-register continue to be bound by the

academic regulations of the home institution for making changes to registration. Students are advised to consult their

own institution's catalog and schedule of classes for pertinent dates and regulations.

Course Availability Verification

Enrollment restrictions may apply for certain courses offered by an institution a student plans to visit. Students

requesting cross-registration are advised to take note of enrollment restrictions and permission requirements and to

verify with appropriate officials or faculty of the visited institution that a course they plan to take is available to them.

Tuition and Fees

Students pay tuition for courses taken under the Consortium arrangement through the regular procedure of the

student's home institution, based on the rate applicable there. In addition to tuition, visiting students pay the applicable

course fees listed in the visited institution's schedule of classes. Such fees are collected by the visited institution.

When I visited GW, it sounded like only a few students actually use this. I think GW only allows students to cross-register for a course if it is not offered at GW.