(Updated) Fall 2020 PhD Statistics Application Evaluation

Hi,

I'm interested in applying for PhD programs in Statistics/Data Science and Biostatistics. I finished my undergrad on June. If you can suggest a few universities to apply that I have good chances for acceptance, I will really appreciate it.

Undergrad Institution: International University (best university in Malaysia, U.S News in the 230s for Global University Ranking, 70th based on QS World University Ranking)

Major: Statistics

GPA: 3.92

Student Type: International Female

GRE General Test: 

Q: 165 (86%)

V: 154 (64%)

W: 3.5 (39%)

Courses:

Math: Basic Mathematics (A), Calculus I (A+), Calculus II (A+), Advanced Calculus(intro to real analysis) (A+), Linear Algebra (A), Introduction to Computing (A+), Numerical Analysis (A), Introduction to Combinatorics (A+), Differential Equations (A).       

Stats: Introduction to Statistics (A+), Probability & Statistics I (A-), Probability & Statistics II (A+), Probability & Statistical Inference (A), Regression Analysis (A), , Non-Parametric Statistics (A+), Design and Analysis of Experiments (A), Stochastic Processes (B), Survey Sampling (A), Analysis of Failure and Survival Data (A+), Computer Intensive Methods in Statistics (A), Basic Operational Research (A).

Computer Science: Data Analysis (A), Data Mining (A), Structured Programming (A).

Programs Applying: PhD in Statistics/Biostatistics/Data Science

Research Experience: A research project for a semester on using Data Mining Methods to analyze river water quality data (Analysis of water quality data using data mining methods). Not published yet

Awards/honors: Dean's List for several semesters, Pass with honors

Programming Experience: R, S-Plus, SPSS, C++, Orange, RapidMiner

Teaching Experience: Tutor for A-Level Math for a year

Letters of Recommendation: Coordinator of the Statistics program, Co-examiner of my research project, Statistics lecturer

List of Schools Considering: 

University of Wisconsin

UT Austin

Rice

UNC-Biostat

Minnesota-Biostat

Penn State

Ohio State

Florida

UIUC

Colorado State

Pittsburgh

Florida State

George Washington

Boston

University of Virginia

Arizona State

Washington University in St. Louis

Worcester Polytechnic Institute

Concerns:

1. I can only apply to 5-8 universities (due to application costs). Therefore, I prefer to apply to universities that I have higher chances of acceptance. I want to know which of these schools are better for my case to apply.

2. My GRE Quantitative is quite low for most of the schools. How is that going to affect my applications.

3. Should I consider any other schools for either Stat/Biostat that are not in the list currently.

Could someone comment on my profile and chances. 

Any suggestion/feedback would be great.

Thanks

Your profile is pretty solid. I think you should generally aim for stats programs ranked 20-40. If you want to maximize your chances of being accepted, apply to large programs in less glamorous locations, for example Ohio State.

I would recommend not applying to Virginia. Their admission rate is extremely low despite their ranking. Boston has a combined math/stats department and recommends the math GRE subject test. You probably don’t have the math background they want. Wisconsin and UNC are reaches.