how important is meeting profs for US PhD programs?

NTNerd

I knew it was important for UK and other overseas programs where you just write a dissertation, but I assumed i wasn't necessary (though of course beneficial) for US programs. I did want to go to SBL to meet profs I'd be interested in working with, but I decided I couldn't afford to lose a week of GRE study time. That additional time ended up making no difference, so I might have made a critical mistake. Someone (though in a different field outside biblical studies) just told me that it's virtually impossible to get into a PhD program (esp funded) without having met someone in person, so now I'm panicking and hoping that it's more true for his field than mine...

Meeting in person is not necessary, though it may very well be beneficial, as you note. An email exchange with one/a couple prof(s) who you may be interested in directing your dissertation is pretty typical. This also can help with developing a SOP for that particular school/department (and how these profs might be of help, since department websites are notoriously out of date with professors' research interests). However, I know of some people (including myself) who have gotten in to funded programs without previous communication with the department beyond the application. In these cases, there are typically other factors that help (a reference from a graduate of the program still in communication and good standing with professors, etc.).

But I wouldn't worry too much. Enjoy your break. Wait to see what happens. If nothing lands this year, wait till June or so and start reaching out to profs via email for next year. 

There's another recent thread on this board about reaching out to potential PhD supervisors, which is relevant for your question. Meeting up with profs in your field (NT) will not increase your chances, if by that you mean it will make them more likely to accept you. Meeting with faculty can help your chances by helping you discern whether you'd want to work with them and whether you're a good fit for the school. Meeting with them could also help you refine your statement of purpose based on how they respond to your proposed research focus. However, it's not worth it to go to SBL just to do that. You could honestly ask them the same questions by email.

Hi @NTGal! As others have noted - meeting prospective advisors isn't required and I can't immediately name a single faculty anywhere that wants or prefers that. That doesn't mean much, obviously, but I just don't see faculty wanting to meet prospective students before they apply.

Now, many faculty - most even (maybe!) - prefer a quick email where you lay out what your interests are, academic background, etc, before you name drop them in an application! This way they know who you are, they can maybe go to bat for you come evaluation time, and on the off chance that they're not accepting students they can save you the $100+ in fees and/or suggest other faculty to you.

thanks @xypathos! i will make sure to do all of this earlier next year if I reapply. For now, should I still send out quick emails even though adcoms will start meeting in a few weeks? Or might it just look bad or annoy them to get emails this late?