Interview at Yale

swilsoon

Hi everyone, 

I was invited to visit and interview with faculty for a PhD in the Ecology and Evolutionary Biology program at Yale in late January. I was wondering what I should wear. I don't know how professional I need to dress. Is a pants suit too formal? Or would a dress and cardigan or pants and a blouse be more appropriate? 

Thank you

1 hour ago, swilsoon said:

Hi everyone, 

I was invited to visit and interview with faculty for a PhD in the Ecology and Evolutionary Biology program at Yale in late January. I was wondering what I should wear. I don't know how professional I need to dress. Is a pants suit too formal? Or would a dress and cardigan or pants and a blouse be more appropriate? 

Thank you

I recommend that you review the photos available here https://eeb.yale.edu/people/graduate-students for examples of wardrobe choices. I would discount examples that clearly reflect fieldwork attire and normal day on campus attire.

Also, if you're so inclined to do some digging (see what I did there?), there have been numerous discussions centering around "what to wear" at the Grad Cafe over the years. One or two of these discussions was gender specific.

I recommend that what ever choices you make, you keep in mind how you do when you're stressed and it is cold outside. Will you benefit from wearing layers? Does exposure to winter air bring out the best or worst in your skin tones in a way that may prove a distraction? (As an example, my skin is generally dry. In colder weather, my dry skin can give me an ashy look.)

I also recommend that you start budgeting now so that you will have enough pen money so that you won't be counting change in your mind's eye if you have the opportunity to participate in an activity that costs money. (And why not buy something with Happyland University branding if you kill it in the interview and you're told YOU'RE IN?)

I think long pants and a button up shirt is fine.

In my opinion, people in EEB are some of the least dressed up academics so you would probably be fine. Say that if this was law school, one shirt probably wouldn't cut it.

On another note, thanks for this announcement. I'm also applying to Yale EEB and was wondering when they are sending interview invites.

• 3 weeks later...