Grad schools that look at last 60 hours for GPA calc?

willyc277

Had a pretty shit time when I first attended school, should have just withdrawn, but was too dumb/depressed. Had a 1.70, sat a couple of years out, then returned. Finished with a 3.92 (22 As, 2 Bs) over my last 72 hours after returning, but still ended up with a 2.55. The uni I went to for undergrad accepts students with a 3.0 over their last 60 hours and I've found a couple more that do as well. I'll have two really good references. Does anyone know of any schools that look at the last 60??

10 minutes ago, willyc277 said:

Had a pretty shit time when I first attended school, should have just withdrawn, but was too dumb/depressed. Had a 1.70, sat a couple of years out, then returned. Finished with a 3.92 (22 As, 2 Bs) over my last 72 hours after returning, but still ended up with a 2.55. The uni I went to for undergrad accepts students with a 3.0 over their last 60 hours and I've found a couple more that do as well. I'll have two really good references. Does anyone know of any schools that look at the last 60??

Berkeley, UCLA (I think, but I'm not sure), and Northwestern (I think, but I'm also not sure) specifically ask for the GPA of your last sixty hours. 

37 minutes ago, willyc277 said:

Thanks for the info, but those are probably a bit of a stretch hahaha.

I think that the University of Washington might, too. All schools that you apply to will see your full transcript, so even if the applications do not require you to note the GPA for your last 60 hours, you might be fine. Or you could address this in your statement (there is disagreement as to whether that's an appropriate strategy, though).

Edited by uchenyy

many apps also allow space to give context for poor academic performance / extenuating circumstances. some also ask if you took a gap / had anything irregular on your record, and if you click yes, there is a text box to elaborate. you can also upload a statement in the additional documents section elaborating what happened, how your academic trajectory changed, and why you are now prepared for a graduate degree. schools such as michigan, jh (i think), and so on require personal statements, and this will give you an opportunity to reframe the grades. i would recommend putting as much context as you can, as many schools are looking for an excuse to ding applicants and low gpas and low gres tend to be among the first wave. if these bad grades were before you declared a major or outside your major requirements, that will work in your favor, as there are a couple of schools that ask you to calculate major gpa.

22 hours ago, uchenyy said:

I think that the University of Washington might, too. All schools that you apply to will see your full transcript, so even if the applications do not require you to note the GPA for your last 60 hours, you might be fine. Or you could address this in your statement (there is disagreement as to whether that's an appropriate strategy, though).

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! Washington does explicitly say min. req. is a 3.0 over the last two years/60 credits!! 

2 hours ago, e2e4 said:

many apps also allow space to give context for poor academic performance / extenuating circumstances. some also ask if you took a gap / had anything irregular on your record, and if you click yes, there is a text box to elaborate. you can also upload a statement in the additional documents section elaborating what happened, how your academic trajectory changed, and why you are now prepared for a graduate degree. schools such as michigan, jh (i think), and so on require personal statements, and this will give you an opportunity to reframe the grades. i would recommend putting as much context as you can, as many schools are looking for an excuse to ding applicants and low gpas and low gres tend to be among the first wave. if these bad grades were before you declared a major or outside your major requirements, that will work in your favor, as there are a couple of schools that ask you to calculate major gpa.

Thanks for the info!! Yea I spent an extra couple of years as a biology major when I should have just taken some time away to figure things out. I actually have a 4.0 in my major (pre-law POLS) and minor (philosophy). After coming back from break the only 2 Bs I got over my last 72 hours were in microeconomics and statistics haha. 

I actually already have a personal statement I wrote for law school, as well as an addendum explaining my GPA. I wasn’t sure whether GPA/test addenda were a thing for grad admissions. I got a 161 on the LSAT this October (83rd percentile) but realized I’d rather go to grad school. I’m trying to get all of my ducks in a row/figure things out and REALLY appreciate the advice I’ve gotten here!!