Got admit from X after accepting Y

skymaster

Hi,

I am an international applicant for chem engg, phd program starting fall 2010. I got accepted and sent an email accepting the offer from a 43rd ranked univ. Now I have just got an accept with similar financial support from a very good univ (ranked 18th). Can I and should I accept the latest offer? I already have the hard copy offer from the 1st univ but haven't signed or sent them as yet. I doubt if there are any legal issues (are there??) but it seems wrong anyways.

Thanks,

Akash

It's frowned upon, but I am pretty sure that you are not legally bound if you haven't yet signed the papers. But, you may be severing connections in the future, as in one day, you may run into someone from this school at a conference, or maybe they are reviewing your grant proposal, and they recognize your name and remember that you accepted then backed out, and they might hold that against you.

But, I would go over all the info and compare the programs though, don't just go by rank. And are these rankings specific for Chem Eng? Or are they for Engineering in general? The rank in your discipline is much more valuable. How many advisors you are interested in at each school? And which location do you like better? Just make sure you REALLY like the second program and will be happy there.

If you go through all this and are still convinced you want the higher ranked school, then I would write an email to the first program explaining that you are really sorry, but you made a mistake, and after evaluating your options, you believe that another program is a better fit.

I was mailed something similar (financial aid letter) and had until April 15th to sign and dispatch the letter back. I've already mailed the signed letter back to the concerned person. And now I'm confused on whether or not to go ahead with the program.

Any thoughts/comment?

OK, even I am confused. The offer that I currently have with a deadline of April 15th is for MS without any financial support from the school. So, do I still have to get these written releases, if I accept their offer and decide to join another school that might give its decision after April 15th. And my best choices most probably might come after April 15th.

I looked at the resolution of the CGS, but that seems to apply only when you have been offered financial aid. Gurus, please help in understanding what choice Masters without financial aid have.

Thanks in advance

You are under no obligation if you are not accepting financial aid. Even if you were, you are allowed to back out of your commitment if you do so by April 15th. ("In those instances in which a student accepts an offer before April 15, and subsequently desires to withdraw that acceptance, the student may submit in writing a resignation of the appointment at any time through April 15.")

Move fast and you'll be okay. If it's unfunded no one's going to get very upset (at least, they shouldn't).

You are under no obligation if you are not accepting financial aid. Even if you were, you are allowed to back out of your commitment if you do so by April 15th. ("In those instances in which a student accepts an offer before April 15, and subsequently desires to withdraw that acceptance, the student may submit in writing a resignation of the appointment at any time through April 15.")

Move fast and you'll be okay. If it's unfunded no one's going to get very upset (at least, they shouldn't).

Thanks for replying. I will accept my current offer and wait to see if I get something better. If its unfunded, they shouldn't really be upset, as attending grad school is costly, and one has to look out for the best choices.