B in Calc and Linear, A in Real Analysis?

Hi Guys,

I'm an undergraduate thinking about doing a PhD in Math/Stat. I was a B student in Math(B in Honors Linear, B- in Honors Multi Calc ), so I never thought I'd be capable of doing it, but I just took real analysis(the 'intro' one, with metric spaces, differentiation integration etc), and got an A in it, and was probably in the top 20% of the class.

I'm taking the 2nd semester of real analysis(up to measure theory next semester), but I was wondering if my poor earlier grades would affect the chances of me getting into grad school in the future.

Sincerely,

Arctusshade

I think that earning A's in the more advanced classes can mitigate the B's in Calc III and Linear Algebra. But you may want to take more advanced math classes to demonstrate that you can get *consistent* A's in advanced upper division math courses.  Is there a proof-based upper division linear algebra class you can take? If so, you could try to ace that class and that would certainly help your application if you were to apply to math/statistics PhD programs.

For math PhD programs, it is my impression that many of these programs want to see that you've taken a few PhD-level courses too (e.g. measure theory or topology).