I already accepted the offer from one great school and just received an offer from another great school-

geochic

I waited and waited and finally accepted one offer-but I received notification of acceptance this afternoon at another school which presented me with a similar funding package, and it is located in the city in which my family lives in (a BIG deal when you're a single mother of two little ones looking at a field research-strong professional degree and NO help with the kids other than gramma-if my undergrad has been any indication of how demanding grad school will be with the kids than the help will be not just a boon but a necessity!)

I mean, how terrible is it to renege on an offer after you've officially accepted?

Edited by geochic

I believe it is not a good practice, but if you read the CGS resolution (http://www.cgsnet.org/portals/0/pdf/CGS_Resolution.pdf), it does have an option for a student to withdraw BEFORE April 15. Good childcare during graduate study is an absolute must, IMO. If you word your letter explaining why you are withdrawing, they might not get miffed (at least not too much).

You definitely have until April 15 to withdraw your acceptance (the link says in writing). I think your circumstances are very much within the realm of "sensible reasons to go somewhere else" and the school should be understanding.

Good luck!

Thanks- Ironically the school I accepted is OSU -So to further complicate things, I was looking over the funding offer from this other (more recent) option and they've offered me a fellowship w/ a stipend and tuition waiver---so does this mean I'm not obligated to work (like the offer I have at OSU)? I don't know. I suppose I need to ask...

Anybody have any insight?

Edited by geochic

Thanks- Ironically the school I accepted is OSU -So to further complicate things, I was looking over the funding offer from this other (more recent) option and they've offered me a fellowship w/ a stipend and tuition waiver---so does this mean I'm not obligated to work (like the offer I have at OSU)? I don't know. I suppose I need to ask...

Anybody have any insight?

It sounds like you won't have to work the year you're funded by the fellowship. You do need to see the details though; I received a fellowship at UMD but it was on top of the assistantship. I think it's usually the former way though.