Humanities Masters to PhD: Do I need to be published?

fossati

Hello,

I am preparing for my PhD applications which are due this December.

I have a question about getting published in academic journals, is this necessary for a PhD application in the humanities? My applications are for programs in Film and Media Studies and Art History. Does published art criticism count as a publication for this field? 

After my first year in my Master's program, I do not feel like my essays or research are up to standard to be published in an academic journal. However, I will still try to be published. 

I know that for sciences, you need to be published, but what about the fields I am interested in?

According to my professor, virtually no graduate student published before entering a PhD program, and as I am applying to graduate schools this year, that's very true. Publishing should be a goal, not a requirement. 

And honestly, most PhD programs train students to write papers for publishing, so don't worry about getting papers published when you are still in an MA program. 

When they say "published works," what they really mean is peer-reviewed academic journals, edited volume, etc. I'm not sure if you piece belongs to this category but if it does, you definitely should include that in your vitae. 

Do not feel discouraged by the quality of your paper. You have another year to work on your writing. Sample writing and SoP weighed much more in the admission process. 

Instead of focusing on getting published, you should try to attend 1-2 conferences (SCMS, ideally). It's easier to present at a conference than to publish in an academic journal. 

I can assure you that admission committee doesn't care if you have published or not. 

Thank you so much for your informative reply! I found the writing in the peer-reviewed academic journals pretty intimidating. 

I will work on the conference presentations. Thankfully my program is pretty adamant about preparing my cohort for conferences and panels. 

Anyway, I appreciate your response!