Grad School Forcing a Decision Within 15 Days?

Phoenix88

Hi, everyone. I just got an acceptance for a school, and they told me that I had to "please indicate your acceptance of this offer within 15 days of the date of this letter. Per a resolution by the Council of Graduate Schools, you are not required to respond to the attached offer of financial support until April 15, 2020."

However, along with the 15 day acceptance policy comes a $100 non-refundable fee. If I choose to go to another university after accepting it, I will lose the $100. If I decide not to pay the $100, I may lose my only offer so far for grad school. This is not a school at the top of my list, but I do have a potential POI, and I like the area it is in. The financial aid offer is a good one as well, so I don't think I can afford to reject this offer before others come in. 

I am thinking of sending them an email to clarify and see if it can be extended. Any help on what to do would be appreciated! 

Edited by Phoenix88

• 1 month later...

I am uncertain about whether this applies only to PhD but as I understand it, the resolution of the Council of Graduate Schools basically means that the offer has to remain valid till April 15. In the part you quote from their letter, the second line contradicts the first.

You must have already made your decision by now. What did you decide?

• 3 weeks later...

@betun, I reached out to the university, and they gave me an extension on the 15 days, saying I could take until April 15th. I am also leaning towards one of two other universities anyway...

And after further clarification, the contradiction arises from a loophole that they are exploiting. They don't have to put the money officially aside if I haven't accepted it, but they (and other schools) want to put the spot for me aside just in case, so they don't accept too many applicants. 

• 4 weeks later...