How do you negotiate funding?

Peter

This seems to be the next stage in the process (assuming your top choice has a lesser funding package...) So---what do you all think?

How do you negotiate funding? How do you bring up other schools' offers appropriately? Can they serve as bargaining chips?

Peter,

I imagine you do it very carefully. All joking aside, in one of the funding packages I received, the Grad Program Director clearly stated that he wanted to know if we had other offers so that they could attempt to keep their program a viable option. Perhaps your acceptance/funding letters mention something similar? Maybe it is standard procedure to alert your first choice about better funding offers you have received from other schools because they hope to have an opportunity to woo/impress you?

It seems as if some programs will really work hard to get you to accept their offer. They have spent so much time reviewing the applications of those they have admitted that they probably hate to lose students to better funded programs. I would imagine this is especialy true if you were a first round admit. It couldn't hurt to ask if they have additional funding they could provide.

• 2 weeks later...

I am in the same boat. I have been offered full tuition + stipend for one program -- the MFA at the University of Chicago -- that I am less impressed with, and I am interviewing this weekend for another program -- Bard's MFA program -- that I fear has less to offer in the way of funding, but much more to offer as a challenging program with a good reputation. I would really like to bring up my offer from the U of C while at this interview, but I don't know if it will get me anywhere...

I fear that these schools are just not comparable when it comes to funding. What if U of Chicago's offer is a sign that their program is not as reputable, but seeking to improve its reputation by pumping money into it (As rumored)? This could be the start of a wonderful program and I could be getting a sweet deal because it is still early. While other schools, perhaps Bard's MFA included, have a wealth of great applicants and prestige for their program. As a result, they don't need to offer great scholarships. (I will point out that I am grateful for any offer, just wanting to make the most of all my options).

I will report back after this weekend, but if anyone has advice before I go, I would definitely take it.

I was accepted at a University where the Director of Graduate Admissions flat out told me that he had some flexibility with the financial offer, and I should tell him about competing offers because he might be able to improve mine. I think it's a mistake to try and read into why one program is able to offer more and another less. It doesn't necessarily reflect a weaker program enticing you. All schools compete for space, money, students, faculty with fundraising abilities, etc., and different schools devote their precious resources to different things. If I were you, I would be completely open and show schools competing offers saying something like "I'm really interested in your program, but I feel torn because I have this other attractive offer."

Let's face it, the time between acceptance and enrollment is the only time you have for leverage. You're smart and capable if you're getting into these schools, and you're not a bad person for fully exploring your options. You'd be doing yourself a disservice if you did otherwise.

Best of luck. It sounds like your problem is a nice ones to have!

Agreed. The situations vary wildly, and as long as you put forward your question about funding respectfully and politely, no one is going to think less of you. You can't know if you don't ask -- and you certainly won't be offered more!

:P

In my situation, one program has offered so much more than the others that I already know no one is going match it, or even come close, esp. once cost of living is factored in. But on a visit last weekend to a different school, I brought it up with the person who had made the initial offer, just to see what she'd say. She was very nice about it, but essentially said, "that's the final offer." Over the course of the visit I gathered that this school has no waiting list -- they simply make offers to a number of prospects. Whoever takes it, great; whoever doesn't, it's money saved.

Pretty much every school has been very open to talking about money, and up front about whether there's wiggle room. And this will be the only chance -- with the exception of competitive fellowships etc. once you're already there -- to increase your level of funding. So don't be shy about asking!

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe you negotiate by waiting and being silent. If you're desired by a school, they may offer more without asking. I've been visiting and waiting to hear about funding. In the meantime, one of my top schools e-mailed that I have been given an even better fellowship with all kinds of perks. Then, what was my dream school initially, added more funding to what was previously a weak offer making my choice even more difficult. I'm still waiting to hear on outside funding that I thought was iffy. But, given my unexpected success thus far, who knows ? During this new waiting period, will I recieve further offers, making a difficult choice all the more complicated ? Hopefully this will be wrapped up soon so I can notify and free up funding for others. Good luck to all hoping for funding.

same thing happened here. bizarre :!:

just visited one school, where the initial offer was significantly improved, and the other that told me "that's the final offer" just e-mailed to see if I would tell them what the other offers were to see if they could "free up more funds."

and i'm trying to make a decision too. good luck.