How do you all talk about what theories you employ in your research in interviews?

gls2814

This question always trips me up! Do I go broad and say that I'm a postmodernist or something? Or do I talk about the smaller scale theories I use from one or two writers? 

I never know how to go about answering questions about what theories I use in my research because often the articles we read don't usually say that I'm taking a specific type of approach. I'm in linguistic anthropology so I use a lot of semiotic theory, a lot of identity/interaction/discourse theory for discourse analysis, but I never know if they have actual labels. I get very tripped up by this question and I need to perfect it because I have another interview coming up. 

Hey There!

I would say if you can be a little more specific than "postmodernism"  in terms of theoretical frameworks in which you frame your research, go for it, but I don't think there's any need to come up with something super complex. For example, in broadly discussing my cultural anthro research approach I would say something along the lines of "I'm very interested in using political ecology to explore questions of x y z." 

But, unless you have a good foundation in the theory you hope to use and they ask you about it directly, I wouldn't stress a lot over it. I think interviewers will be much more interested in your research questions and why their program is the best place for you to go to address them. 

As a side note, when I had my interview for the program I now attend, theory was not something that came up. For me, and I'm sure for a lot of students entering an advanced program in anthropology, I basically had 0 background in anthro history and theory because it just wasn't something my undergraduate courses ever covered. I think interviewers know you're coming back to school to get that specialized training so they're not going to expect you to be incredibly well-versed in theory from the start. Also as you go through a grad program it can be very likely that your theoretical approaches will change or you will add to them, so that's also something to keep in mind. 

Hope that helps!

3 hours ago, hantoo said:

Hey There!

I would say if you can be a little more specific than "postmodernism"  in terms of theoretical frameworks in which you frame your research, go for it, but I don't think there's any need to come up with something super complex. For example, in broadly discussing my cultural anthro research approach I would say something along the lines of "I'm very interested in using political ecology to explore questions of x y z." 

But, unless you have a good foundation in the theory you hope to use and they ask you about it directly, I wouldn't stress a lot over it. I think interviewers will be much more interested in your research questions and why their program is the best place for you to go to address them. 

As a side note, when I had my interview for the program I now attend, theory was not something that came up. For me, and I'm sure for a lot of students entering an advanced program in anthropology, I basically had 0 background in anthro history and theory because it just wasn't something my undergraduate courses ever covered. I think interviewers know you're coming back to school to get that specialized training so they're not going to expect you to be incredibly well-versed in theory from the start. Also as you go through a grad program it can be very likely that your theoretical approaches will change or you will add to them, so that's also something to keep in mind. 

Hope that helps!

Wow thanks for this! So I'm into linguistic anthropology along with cultural and I've mostly been using a lot of semiotic theory that falls into pragmatism and structuralism. I definitely do not have a strong foundation in theory. My one undergraduate course in anthropological theory mostly focused on reading ethnographies and early history of what's NOT accepted in anthro anymore so it's been a bit tough for me to pinpoint exactly what school of thought I fall under with my research and analyses. I'm afraid to say structuralism or functionalism just because it seems (from what I've been reading) that these have fallen out of favor. 

When I interviewed at one of the big major anthropology department, one of the professors straight up asked me what theories I plan on using in my research. I'm sure I sounded like a complete idiot talking about language ideologies and translation. 

But thank you so much for your response. It helps me feel a lot better. 

Oh my goodness I'm sure you didn't sound like an idiot AT ALL. The fact that you got an interview already speaks volumes about how search committees view your qualifications and experience. Maybe if you get this question again going forward or if it's a major concern, you can reframe the way you answer. Be honest and say something like "I haven't yet had the opportunity to build a strong foundation in theory, but here's what I hope to expand on" or, even better, "I hope to explore theoretical areas that help me to address x y z in my fieldwork or to use these methodologies that interest me..." 

Honestly and clearly answer interview questions but it's okay to direct them towards your own areas of experience. Hope you get good news on your acceptances soon, sending good vibes your way!