Getting research experience after graduation during a gap year?

prospectivecsgrad

Recent CS grad who is planning on applying to PhD programs in the near future. While I have some research experience (including an REU from this past summer), I'm currently taking a gap year to recharge before applications and was wondering if it is possible to gain more relevant experience in the months that I do have before applying. I have one work offer, and am interviewing for another potential company (software developer/consulting, not research related), in addition to sending apps for research assistant positions at a couple national labs.

Any advice on a path that I could take for the next few months? I'm thinking of going on the research route, but any other suggestions? Should I keep applying to national labs? Would it be a good idea to try and ask professors at my previous undergrad for opportunities?

• 2 weeks later...

I was in similar situation, I just volunteered in one of my undergrad prof lab as a research assistant during the summer and then even got paid.

Try to find a way in in anyway, if you show them commitment and passion usually they are open ( at least in my case). On top of research experience, you may end up getting a glowing recommendation on top of it.