Offended POI?

cupparino

Recently I was invited for a finalist iinterview for a top program. While researching the adcom to prepare for the interview, I realized that one professor/committee members and I's research had a lot of interesting intersections thematically (Lets call them Professor X). I didn't list them on my SoP as a POI because I didn't know at the time. 

During the interview, I bombed the faculty fit part, because they informed me that one of the POI's I listed and wanted to work with will not be taking students anymore (when I reached out months prior they said they did...I don't know what happened) and didnt know how to navigate that on the spot and just froze up.

In my post interview email to the committee member/Professor X, I had briefly said something like "If admitted, I'd very much like to continue these discussions and work with you as I see great overlap" and they responded "you should have said this during the interview" 

I know I messed up , my nerves and the faculty fit curveball made me freeze up. It's my own fault. But did my comment about potentially working together make me look bad or come off as agitating or time inappropriate?