Which Master's programs are strong in European political thought?

I'm particularly interested in Carl Schmitt and Martin Heidegger. It seems that most Schmitt scholars, for instance, hold positions overseas. From what I understand, most programs in the States have a quantitative focus and lack a significant literature dimension or push it to the side as an "elective". Are there any Master's programs in the U.S. that are particularly strong in European political thought?

You might try UChicago's terminal MA programmes in either the Humanities or the Social Sciences. Aside from one core course [depending on which programme you're in], you have your pick of any of the courses, across any of the divisions. I'm an alum and highly recommend. You'll certainly find Heidegger and Schmitt scholars.

Edited by Artifex_Archer

16 hours ago, Artifex_Archer said:

You might try UChicago's terminal MA programmes in either the Humanities or the Social Sciences. Aside from one core course [depending on which programme you're in], you have your pick of any of the courses, across any of the divisions. I'm an alum and highly recommend. You'll certainly find Heidegger and Schmitt scholars.

UChicago obviously has great resources, but the MA program in humanities is crazy expensive.  I was accepted last year, but I declined.  Tuition + living expenses is 90,000 dollars.  I got a 10,000 dollar scholarship, and judging by others' results here, it seems the average for scholarships is 10,000 to 20,000 dollars (rarely 30,000).  UChicago seems to fund their Ph.D. programs through their MA (correct me if I'm wrong).  If you have independent wealth or get one of the rare larger scholarships, it can be a good option.  But IMO it's not worth taking out tens of thousands in loans for a 1 year MA. 

Edited by StarkDark1

39 minutes ago, StarkDark1 said:

UChicago obviously has great resources, but the MA program in humanities is crazy expensive.  I was accepted last year, but I declined.  Tuition + living expenses is 90,000 dollars.  I got a 10,000 dollar scholarship, and judging by others' results here, it seems the average for scholarships is 10,000 to 20,000 dollars (rarely 30,000).  UChicago seems to fund their Ph.D. programs through their MA (correct me if I'm wrong).  If you have independent wealth or get one of the rare larger scholarships, it can be a good option.  But IMO it's not worth taking out tens of thousands in loans for a 1 year MA. 

I should have mentioned the scholarship stipulation, yes. I was fortunate enough to have one; and I do mean that, since scholarship allocation is highly variable. With a scholarship, and with the name rec, it's a great investment.

5 hours ago, StarkDark1 said:

Full scholarships only cover tuition (approx 60k). Note that student would still be responsible for student fees + insurance (approx $2200/quarter). Thankfully, living on the south side is very affordable, in relative terms.

On 2/10/2020 at 10:41 PM, SpracheSpielsOverReals said:

I'm particularly interested in Carl Schmitt and Martin Heidegger. It seems that most Schmitt scholars, for instance, hold positions overseas. From what I understand, most programs in the States have a quantitative focus and lack a significant literature dimension or push it to the side as an "elective". Are there any Master's programs in the U.S. that are particularly strong in European political thought?

I'd say that is a mischaracterization of US programs. And @Artifex_Archer is right; Chicago would be the place. It is uniquely hospitable to theory heads and you will find peers and professors engaged in this scholarship. I would not sink tens of thousands in loans to talk about a couple of nazis (don't much care for Schmitt or Heidegger) for a year, but that's just me - there are plenty at Chicago in MAPSS/MAPH who work on this and thrive. Some find better return on investment than others - be aware that reported placement is inflated and uneven for these programs.