How to Phrase a Withdrawal?

I got an offer from a school in March for a PhD program, with an acceptance deadline of April 1. At that point I hadn't heard back from any other schools and thought I wasn't getting in anywhere else, so I accepted their offer and paid them the non-refundable deposit. I have since gotten another offer with excellent funding and definitely no longer want to go to this school (to be honest I never really did, I was just concerned I wouldn't get in anywhere else). I won't ask for my deposit back, as I know that's in poor taste, but how should I tastefully phrase the withdrawal e-mail in a situation like this? I am withdrawing because I want to go somewhere else and I'm not sure if I should disclose this, or what I should say. While I have no desire to attend this school, I also don't want to burn bridges with anyone. Anyone else written withdrawal e-mails of this nature?

Thanks in advance smile.gif

Edited by princetonstyle

I got an offer from a school in March for a PhD program, with an acceptance deadline of April 1. At that point I hadn't heard back from any other schools and thought I wasn't getting in anywhere else, so I accepted their offer and paid them the non-refundable deposit. I have since gotten another offer with excellent funding and definitely no longer want to go to this school (to be honest I never really did, I was just concerned I wouldn't get in anywhere else). I won't ask for my deposit back, as I know that's in poor taste, but how should I tastefully phrase the withdrawal e-mail in a situation like this? I am withdrawing because I want to go somewhere else and I'm not sure if I should disclose this, or what I should say. While I have no desire to attend this school, I also don't want to burn bridges with anyone. Anyone else written withdrawal e-mails of this nature?

Thanks in advance smile.gif

Is it to staff or a specfic professor?

If it is to staff, you can probably just write a reasonably direct message notifying them of the change.

If it is to a professor, you probably want to provide more explanation. A phone call might be better.