Programs available in behavioral economics?

hbergeron

I apologize for asking this here but despite a lot of online searching I can't figure out if I'm failing to find what I'm looking for because it doesn't exist, or because it isn't easily searchable. I've tried to "do my homework" before asking.

I got my bachelor's degree thirty years ago, in English. Now, three decades later, disabled and retired after a long career in the high end IT field , I find myself fascinated with the field of behavioral economics. I've done a bunch of self-study but want more, perhaps a second career.  I would like to pursue a master's degree in the field. Given my background this may be a hopeless endeavor, but to find out just how hopeless I have some questions.

First, my degree obviously did not have a lot of math in it. Due to some programming experience I can do advanced algebra but not higher math. Does this field require quite as much math as a "standard" economics degree? If so, which areas? Statistics, I assume? Would being only so-so at math preclude me form having a hope of accomplishing this?

Second, I assume that to even qualify for a program at this point I would have to take some extra undergrad-level courses first, both to get some foundation and to get a"fresh" GPA. I'm thinking micro/macro and statistics at a minimum, what else would be helpful? Psychology?  I assume I would have to pass the GRE, what courses would be needed for that?

Third, I have heard that some schools have post-bac programs for such occasions - do they have to have a specific "program" for that, or can I go to any school that has an economics program and apply to take classes?  Would I need a second bachelor's degree?

Fourth, I live in Southern NH (though not within commuting distance of Boston), and I don't know of any such graduate programs around here, though there may be one I haven't found out about. I'm skeptical of online education but it may be my only option. So far I have found plenty of places that have online Economics degrees, but not Behavioral Economics specifically. Are there any accredited, well-regarded programs available online that aren't diploma mills?

Thanks for any advice!

Edited by hbergeron

Note: I haven't done any behavioral economics beyond courses my undergraduate degree but I have done courses in related fields such as neuroeconomics.

I would say being so-so in math is devastating. You might be able to pass the behavioral classes with very little math (depending on which stem of behavioral economics your professor is teaching), but you'll be competing to even get in the program with people that have heavy math backgrounds (unless you're going to a bad school). I would suggest getting at least intermediate level econometrics, real analysis, calc I & II (I would also recommend calc III), and 4th year macro/micro. Working in the IT field I'm assuming you have programming experience? If you don't know them, get familiar with some of the languages used in the field as that will help you in any econ masters program. As for schools, there are two options:

1) you can find a school that has a program specifically in this area. I did a little searching and there are quite a number even in the US, but the programs themselves look dreadful.

2) you can find a school that has professors that have published papers specifically in this area. You might get electives with those professors and maybe they'll supervise your thesis. That will mean you'll have to take core econ courses, but you'll get a much more fundamental understanding of the problem that behavioral economics is trying to address and the math behind it. Economists as a rule generally use similar math in every sub-discipline because laziness. 

I'd also be skeptical of online education and if you're going to go that route you should consider why you are doing this degree. If you are expecting to get a second career out of it, I think it will be significantly more difficult with online programs. If you're doing it for the sake of learning, then why not? You won't get the graduate level cohort feeling or networking ability, which is a big loss but you will probably avoid a lot of the antipathy and sadness that comes from being in a graduate program as well, which, as you're more experienced, I doubt you would enjoy.