Sending an email with this question

isabellhk

Question

Hi,

I had an interview last Saturday and was told that they would notify me once they are done with the interview process (last week of feb). Meanwhile, they also sent me bunch of program materials to looks at (ex. thesis from past alumni, their program website, etc).

I know the interview process is ongoing but I want to ask them some questions that I got while looking through those materials / show continued interest via email.

And I'm wondering if it's weird/rude to ask if they have any concern that might make them hesitant in accepting me? I've heard this is one of good example questions to ask at a job interview setting, but not sure it also applies to grad school interview, especially via email.

I'd really appreciate you input on this.

1 answer to this question

I'd say it's totally fine to email them with substantive questions about the program, but I'd avoid asking about your chances. At best it's gauche, and at worst it might actually hurt your application--it definitely won't help if the admissions officer who's making the decision has an image of you in their head as an impatient person. 

I know the wait is tough, and I think being engaged with the university is definitely not a bad thing, but I wouldn't specifically ask about your chances of admission.