Southeast Asian Studies Applicants?

elizbiz

I was wondering if anyone else out there is enrolled in/applying for grad programs for Southeast Asia. I am applying for master's programs for Fall 2020 and also summer language programs like SEASSI and the IU Language Workshop. I know I didn't cast my net as wide as I should have, but I am applying for Cornell's Asian Studies M.A., Wisconsin-Madison's M.A. in Southeast Asian Studies, and Syracuse's M.A. in Religion. I am also applying for FLAS funding for Cornell and Madison.  I am very nervous about how competitive the programs are, not mind-blowingly high GRE scores, how likely FLAS funding is, and just general acceptance stress.

I'm interested in hearing from anyone who has experience or is going through the same process!

Update: I was accepted into Madison's program!

Hey! I totally feel you!  I also applied for for Cornell's Asian Studies M.A. and Wisconsin-Madison's M.A. in Southeast Asian Studies, and Syracuse's M.A. in Religion. I just got acceptance emails from Cornell and University of Hawaii-Manoa this Friday, so now I'm currently applying for FLAS funding for Cornell!

On 2/23/2020 at 8:08 PM, Nikita S. said:

Hey! I totally feel you!  I also applied for for Cornell's Asian Studies M.A. and Wisconsin-Madison's M.A. in Southeast Asian Studies, and Syracuse's M.A. in Religion. I just got acceptance emails from Cornell and University of Hawaii-Manoa this Friday, so now I'm currently applying for FLAS funding for Cornell!

@Nikita S. Oh wow, I can't believe we have so much overlap! Great to see you on both of my threads and congratulations, that's wonderful! I was accepted into all three programs (UWM, SU, and Cornell) by some divine intervention and I am faced with a privileged, yet still difficult decision. FLAS will be crucial for me because I cannot afford Madison or Cornell without it. I did receive full funding from Syracuse though, which is an incredible fortune. Do you have any idea of when FLAS notifications could come in for Cornell? 

Where are you leaning towards and what are your specific interests in SE Asia? Perhaps we have overlap there too!