Jump to content

Funding for 1 year => F1 Visa? (question for international students)


Recommended Posts


I was wondering whether anyone can answer the following query: if you're admitted to some grad school as a Research Assistant with an assured stipend of 1 year, followed by the option to either switch groups and finalize funding yourself, or continue to work in the same group with an assured funding, does it make things difficult at the US Embassy to get an F1 visa? I'm concerned that assured funding for only 1 year will affect my visa application.

I'd appreciate hearing especially from international students who have faced similar issues.


Link to comment
Share on other sites

There shouldn't be any problem due to funding. The only requirement for an F1 visa is proving funding (your own or scholarships or financial support from the univ) for the 1st academic year. The details, such as an option to switch groups, are not mentioned on the I20.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.