Learning a new language while doing a PhD

Gatech_ST

I would love to hear from people who are learning a new language and how they incorporated that during PhD.!

I found myself pushing my lessons to the bottom of the stack, but I try to get into tandem.net and iTalk at least once a week.

How to motivate yourself to continue and how is it working for you so far?

I haven't done it myself but I'm learning a new language on rosetta stone right now and planning to start a grad program this fall. I hope by that point I'll have the basics down better and I can move on to listening to some language learning podcasts while commuting or during down time

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/25/2020 at 1:53 PM, cl27 said:

I haven't done it myself but I'm learning a new language on rosetta stone right now and planning to start a grad program this fall. I hope by that point I'll have the basics down better and I can move on to listening to some language learning podcasts while commuting or during down time

awesome, I truly wished I did learn more basics before joining and used my commute and free time here and there to expand on it. Go for it!

Also, since I'm Arabic native, HelloTalk was awesome to talk to Spanish natives that are trying to learn Arabic, try it out!