Tuition Remission/Chancellor's Scholarship

Dith Vader

I understand scholarships or grants made in honor of someone, like Sulzberger Scholarship for Arthur Sulzberger, for example.

But is there a difference between what universities call tuition remission and scholarships? And what is a chancellor's scholarship? How is it different from just merit-based scholarship?

I'm totally clueless about these things!

<br />I understand scholarships or grants made in honor of someone, like Sulzberger Scholarship for Arthur Sulzberger, for example.<br /><br />But is there a difference between what universities call tuition remission and scholarships? And what is a chancellor's scholarship? How is it different from just merit-based scholarship?<br /><br />I'm totally clueless about these things!<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Usually, although not always, a scholarship or grant will have two parts:

a. fee/tuition remission -- they pay your fees to the school so you don't have to. you will never actually see this money, but you won't have to spend it, either.

b. a stipend -- money to live on. this is taxable most places.

On many campuses, academic jobs like TAships and RAships have tuition remission as a standard benefit if you work more than some standard amount of hours.

At my university, there's something called the Chancellor's Prize which is a named scholarship. I don't know where you are, but it's probably not any different from this. Don't worry about what it's called. =)

Edited by jenali