GRE preparation

Baron

Question

1 answer to this question

1. Buy a practice book. I used Kaplan's and it helped a lot. Read through all the sections, they give tons of tips on different question structures and test strategies.

2. Take practice tests. I think I took 2 full practice tests before the real thing. These will let you know roughly how it feels to sit down and take a test for 5 hours (hint: it sucks), and also give you insight into your strengths and weaknesses that just doing practice problems in isolation won't. Whatever book you get will likely have a couple of practice tests in it; if you get the Kaplan book you can buy more online for pretty cheap. I believe ETS also has a couple of official past tests online, though I didn't know about them until after I took it. 

3. Based on the results of the practice tests, consider enrolling in a class or hiring a tutor to shore up your weaknesses. I was happy with the results of my practice tests so I skipped this step, but if you're really struggling in any of the 3 sections (especially whichever of V/Q is more important for your programs), getting someone else to help train you is key.