Only Two Days Left And Still No Clue...

afra04

With only two days before d-day, I am no closer to making a decision. I've narrowed it down to 3 choices:

CMU: Full tuition, 6k stipend a year

Harris: Full tuition, no stipend

UMD: In state tuition, grad assistantship

After grad school I want to enter the consulting field, doing state and local government work which will require a heavy focus on public management and finance while in school. Not only do I want a school that will give me a great experience but I want to attend a school where I will be able to command top dollar post graduation. They are all great schools, so any advice or insight is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I have the exact same financial aid packages as you from CMU and UChicago.

I went to Chicago's admitted students day and i was so impressed by all aspects of the Harris School.

I would go there if my interests were domestic in nature, but they are not.

I would even go as far as saying that I thought Harris had a higher calibre of students atleast at the admitted day than CMU would.

You can't go wrong with either of those choices, but Chicago gets my vote.

With only two days before d-day, I am no closer to making a decision. I've narrowed it down to 3 choices:

CMU: Full tuition, 6k stipend a year

Harris: Full tuition, no stipend

UMD: In state tuition, grad assistantship

After grad school I want to enter the consulting field, doing state and local government work which will require a heavy focus on public management and finance while in school. Not only do I want a school that will give me a great experience but I want to attend a school where I will be able to command top dollar post graduation. They are all great schools, so any advice or insight is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

It sounds like you want a serious quant focus and since you specifically mentioned management and finance I would def say Heinz. Chicago def has the research advantage but I'm not sure about the total package for your wants.

I would even go as far as saying that I thought Harris had a higher calibre of students atleast at the admitted day than CMU would.

How can you speak to the caliber of students at an admitted day you did not attend? You can say that Harris had some great people, but you can't say anywhere else didn't unless you were there. I met a variety of students at the Heinz admitted student day, and all had impressive backgrounds and were incredibly intelligent.

To the OP: Financially, the first two are better options, and the programs are more highly regarded. As for choosing, consider several things.

Do you hope to work in the Midwest? If so, Chicago has stronger connections there, while Heinz has strong East coast and Northwest connections and Maryland's connections are pretty focused in to the DC-area.

Do you plan on pursuing an academic career or do you hope to find work right away? Chicago is known more for the academic or theoretical nature of the program, whereas Heinz emphasizes quantitative and professional applications, and Maryland is much more research-focused.

Have you visited or made efforts to speak to each school? Consider how the faculty treated you and how accessible the staff was.

More than anything, think about what skills you already have, and how each program could supplement your current knowledge. For me, I have a great deal of qualitative background. I already have a theoretical foundation, research experience, and Midwest connections. I disliked both the lack of community and the lack of rigor at the Maryland school. I am looking for the quantitative skills that I can market to potential employers - the heavy focus on business-type coursework at Heinz is perfect for me as it completes my skill set. Which school completes your skill set?

Edited by mppgal55