Choosing a Masters Program... thoughts?

carolinaji

Hi so I recently got accepted into a forensic psychology masters program at a really well known school in my area. I am waiting on another school where I got wait listed last year, assuming I get in (hopefully going to find out soon) I’m not sure which I would choose. 

The one where I was waitlisted at last year has had a masters program in forensic psych since 2001, is cheaper, has a higher acceptance rate, and isn’t as well known, but I loved their campus and vibe the times I’ve gone, I can see myself happy there. 

the one where I recently got accepted has had their masters program for forensic psych since 2012, a lot more expensive, lower acceptance rate, much more prestigious and is like a name brand of sorts. When I went for my interview the director was very dry and short and a little off putting, not the same vibe as the other school.

i just don’t want to kick myself later for not going to the better known school in the future for job purposes (I’m not planning on getting a PhD). Although I so far have liked the atmosphere of the other school. People have told me that even though the school I like so far has around 10 years ahead of the other, that it doesn’t mean much, but I’m not sure about that. 

this is also all me assuming I’ll even have a choice to pick, so we’ll see what the other says!! 

thoughts?? 

One question I have is what you intend to do job-wise with the degree after you complete it. Unless it is forensic mental health counseling, there are not many jobs available for a masters in forensic psychology (I have one from a pretty well-known school, so I'm speaking from my own experience lol).

Also, the year the program was started isn't always a great indicator of reputation. The faculty teaching and opportunities are a larger factor. For instance, 1 draw from my program was that you can do research affiliated with the FBI through a connection the university had with the FBI. Also, numerous faculty have been called as expert witnesses for high profile cases. If you want to private message me, maybe I can help you better, as I understand the hesitation to post more specifics on a public message board.