Anthropology vs. Religious Studies graduate programs?

Pomegranateseed15

This is my first post here and I'm looking for advice on the outlook of the field I guess. My undergrad background is in Anthropology, but my research is in anthropology of religion and can easily fit into a religious studies department.

Right now I am in a dilemma weighing what path to take. I was offered admission to a Religious Studies program in the U.S. at a top university, and I was also offered admission to a small university's Anthropology PhD program. It's not very highly ranked at all, but the department is a pretty good fit...but so is the Religious Studies department.

I have visits coming up to both these schools and right now I think the deciding factor is the future job market. Religion vs. Anthropology. I've heard mixed things from various people in both fields, but there is some bias I think. Anthropologists tell me that anthropology is more versatile, while people in RS tell me that it's more marketable. I'm also trying to weigh if prestige matters on the job market as well. Would it look better to go to Excellent University for RS or Fairly Good University for Anthropology? The smaller university is in no way a bad one, and I am excited about the prospect of going to both.

These are of course things I will be discussing with my past mentors and grad students at both places, but could I enlist kind internet strangers for any new perspectives?

I also posted this on Academia stack exchange.

That's a really difficult choice to make. I did the opposite and have a masters in Religious Studies but am going into a PhD program in Anthropology. I chose anthropology because it is more flexible and I can still study religion in that field. But, many of my advisors have told me that school prestige matters much more than the actual program and to make whichever program work for you and take advantage of all the opportunities. Have you visited ether school yet? I would go with whomever I felt most comfortable with.

20 hours ago, NicholeB said:

That's a really difficult choice to make. I did the opposite and have a masters in Religious Studies but am going into a PhD program in Anthropology. I chose anthropology because it is more flexible and I can still study religion in that field. But, many of my advisors have told me that school prestige matters much more than the actual program and to make whichever program work for you and take advantage of all the opportunities. Have you visited ether school yet? I would go with whomever I felt most comfortable with.

Thank you! I visited the RS school because it's close by. I don't think I'll have the chance to visit the Anthro school but I've been in contact with grad students there. It is a really difficult choice that I'm struggling with.