Out of State Grad Student with a car conundrum

Kiki_6

Hello gang,

I have tried to figure this out myself by calling the DMV and talking to my parents  but everyone is giving me mixed information and I would really like to get this done soon. Here's my question/issue:

I am an out of state student originally from TX and I went to undergrad in NC and got a car there. My sticker and plates are from NC and my ID is still form TX. Now, for graduate school, I am in IL and have people telling me I should convert residency but others telling me I don't have to. Either way, I'd like to have my ID, sticker, and plates from the same state so cops don't freak out. Should I convert to IL or TX? I heard insurance policies need to be changed soon as well and that you can't get a sticker or plate without the insurance being from the same state. I don't know if I'll move for my PH.D. or future job plan but I'm a nomad at heart.

So far, from what I've googled, in IL, you don't have to change but of course currently I do live here. Out of state students, what did you do? Please help, my parents are confused as well and there's no book for this. The picture below is what I've googled.

Screen Shot 2020-02-29 at 10.44.39 PM.png

Edited by Kiki_6
needed to add tags

I just switched everything over to my new state because it felt easier and I wanted to establish residency. If you don't want to establish residency, then I guess it would be less time and money to just get an NC license so everything matches. 

I have moved around a lot and I have always converted my license, registration, and insurance over to the place that I was currently living so I would probably convert everything to IL. (I have registered the same car in four different states as I have moved around. It does add up.)  Different states have different rules on whether you change the drivers' license first or the car registration first so I would check that.  And FYI - you may also have to pay a tax on the value of your car when you register it.

You definitely want car insurance in the place where your car is located.  You don't want to get into a car accident and have your insurance not pay out because you have your car listed as being located in NC or TX or whatnot.