UIUC vs Stanford MS CS

cs-banana

Hi all,

I don’t have an admit for Stanford’s MS CS yet — but it’s perhaps the only programme that would make me second guess accepting UIUC’s MS CS. Can you guys help me make the decision early? I’m certainly leaning towards UIUC, and I might decide later on to potentially move to a PhD. Tuition is not an issue for either.

UIUC

• Interesting research topic lined up — could potentially start early?
  • The Midwest is cheaper
  • Seems to be more straightforward to enter PhD?

Stanford

• Name recognition

Cheers!

22 hours ago, cs-banana said:

Hi all,

I don’t have an admit for Stanford’s MS CS yet — but it’s perhaps the only programme that would make me second guess accepting UIUC’s MS CS. Can you guys help me make the decision early? I’m certainly leaning towards UIUC, and I might decide later on to potentially move to a PhD. Tuition is not an issue for either.

UIUC

• Interesting research topic lined up — could potentially start early?
  • The Midwest is cheaper
  • Seems to be more straightforward to enter PhD?

Stanford

• Name recognition

Cheers!

Hi congratulations on UIUC, good going!

I won't be able to comment on the merits of the two programs as I haven't attended either though in the Stanford section, you ought to add industry presence of CS as an advantage. However, I don't see why you need to rush into your decision here when you have not even heard from Stanford. In case you need more time to decide, ask for it. Deadlines for decision do get extended. I have rushed into accepting offers in the past for Master's and lost deposits unnecessarily because I realized later on that I could have easily have asked for more time.Top US universities are interested in having students who really want to be there. Most times, they are very considerate. Take your time deciding. It is a big decision.