Duke vs. Georgetown vs. Chicago

Where should I go?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Which MPP program should I attend?

• Georgetown Public Policy Institute
    • Duke's Sanford School
    • University of Chicago's Harris School

So...with less than 48 hours to go before the notification deadline, I'm still totally torn between three MPP programs: Duke's Sanford School, Georgetown Public Policy Institute and U. of Chicago's Harris School. Any suggestions/advice would be GREATLY appreciated! So here's the deal...

1. Duke has offered me full tuition + fees + health insurance

2. Georgetown offered me full tuition + a $16,000/yr stipend (fellowship - no work requirement)

3. Harris offered me full tuition

I definitely got the best "feeling" at Duke. The staff seemed very competent and friendly, the faculty members all seemed really great and very accessible, and I was very impressed with the current students. They all seemed very intelligent, interesting, cool and totally down-to-earth. I'm still a bit concerned about living in Durham...but I think I would enjoy the program so much, that it's not too big a deal for me.

I didn't get to go to the GPPI open house, but based on my visit and what I've heard from multiple people, there doesn't seem to be nearly as strong a sense of community at Georgetown. I got the feeling that students aren't nearly as connected, since everyone's also doing internships during the school year. At the same time, $16,000 plus the possibility of getting a paid internship to cover the cost of my living expenses sounds pretty great...and is very hard to turn down.

I wasn't blown away by the Harris School's open house. I thought I would love the program (and on paper I did), but I just didn't really feel like I connected when I was there. At the same time, I'm very interested in pursuing a research career, and I know this is where the Harris program really excels, so I don't want to write them off just yet. But since Chicago's a pretty expensive city and my offer from the Harris School is the lowest (granted, I still know it's great), I'm not so sure it makes as much sense as my other options financially.

As for my background, basically I'm a research nerd. I've been doing research in a nonprofit for the past couple of years, and I want to pursue some kind of research-based career. I THINK I'd like to get a Ph.D. eventually, but I'm viewing the MPP as a good opportunity for me to try to figure out whether I'd really like to pursue and academic career, or whether I'd be more satisfied doing more real-world/applied research at a think tank or for the government. I definitely want to attend a program that would help prepare me for a Ph.D. and make me look like a strong applicant, just in case I decide to go that route.

Any advice? How much is the warm fuzzy feeling I got at Duke worth vs. the money at Georgetown or the academic/theoretical prowess of Chicago? Please help!!

So...with less than 48 hours to go before the notification deadline, I'm still totally torn between three MPP programs: Duke's Sanford School, Georgetown Public Policy Institute and U. of Chicago's Harris School. Any suggestions/advice would be GREATLY appreciated! So here's the deal...

1. Duke has offered me full tuition + fees + health insurance

2. Georgetown offered me full tuition + a $16,000/yr stipend (fellowship - no work requirement)

3. Harris offered me full tuition

I definitely got the best "feeling" at Duke. The staff seemed very competent and friendly, the faculty members all seemed really great and very accessible, and I was very impressed with the current students. They all seemed very intelligent, interesting, cool and totally down-to-earth. I'm still a bit concerned about living in Durham...but I think I would enjoy the program so much, that it's not too big a deal for me.

I didn't get to go to the GPPI open house, but based on my visit and what I've heard from multiple people, there doesn't seem to be nearly as strong a sense of community at Georgetown. I got the feeling that students aren't nearly as connected, since everyone's also doing internships during the school year. At the same time, $16,000 plus the possibility of getting a paid internship to cover the cost of my living expenses sounds pretty great...and is very hard to turn down.

I wasn't blown away by the Harris School's open house. I thought I would love the program (and on paper I did), but I just didn't really feel like I connected when I was there. At the same time, I'm very interested in pursuing a research career, and I know this is where the Harris program really excels, so I don't want to write them off just yet. But since Chicago's a pretty expensive city and my offer from the Harris School is the lowest (granted, I still know it's great), I'm not so sure it makes as much sense as my other options financially.

As for my background, basically I'm a research nerd. I've been doing research in a nonprofit for the past couple of years, and I want to pursue some kind of research-based career. I THINK I'd like to get a Ph.D. eventually, but I'm viewing the MPP as a good opportunity for me to try to figure out whether I'd really like to pursue and academic career, or whether I'd be more satisfied doing more real-world/applied research at a think tank or for the government. I definitely want to attend a program that would help prepare me for a Ph.D. and make me look like a strong applicant, just in case I decide to go that route.

Any advice? How much is the warm fuzzy feeling I got at Duke worth vs. the money at Georgetown or the academic/theoretical prowess of Chicago? Please help!!

Harris grad here:

If you are seriously considering an academic career, I definitely recommend Harris. The other programs are good, but from what I've learned their 'comparative advantage' lies more in the realms of politics/policy process and management. Harris is a great place to find out if you truly want an academic career, and also a good stepping stone to such a career. I will grant you that it is not the 'warmest and fuzziest' place, but I genuinely enjoyed my time there, and learned a lot.

Feel free to send me a PM, and good luck with your decision.

Go with Duke! It sounds like you have the best feeling about their program, and your visit confirmed that you would like your fellow students and have accessible, innovative professors. I got into Sanford too, but eventually had to turn it down because I only got a small scholarship. I couldn't go to open house, but based on all the info I could gather, they offer: 1) one of the most rigorous academic curricula of any MPP program, so you will leave extremely prepared for applied policy work or future research, 2) extremely rigorous master's project that requires an initial prospectus defense that's tougher than what most non-thesis grad programs require, and 3) GREAT connections to the mafia of alumni for getting a job. On the other hand, from emailing with current Sanford students, I've gathered that you will not have time for anything outside of required coursework the first year...it's apparently that intense.

I hear that even though Durham can be kind of hit or miss, that it has lots of stuff to do and is cheap. Social life should be pretty good with so many students in the area. Also, while the program is more applied than theoretical (which seems to be a big difference between Sanford vs. Harris), it will still leave you prepared to do a PhD in the future. In the end, the details of the coursework aren't what really make a lasting impression...it's the people you meet, the overall experience you take away, and whether you and the program are a good fit. But it's your decision, so don't let random people on this website like me tell you where to go...it sounds like you already know.

i'm in a similar dilemma, though not quite with those funding packages (congratulations!!)

can anyone else make a case for duke or chicago over the other? in terms of reputation, do you think chicago will open more doors? and with regards to duke's very small class size (~50 students) do you ever feel like this is a negative? while i know chicago is known for being more quant based, does duke's curriculum live up in the eyes of an employer? and can anyone speak to their career services, in terms of getting placed NOT in DC or north carolina post graduation (ie. NYC, Chicago, West Coast)? i also get the feeling duke offers less electives and more core. can anybody speak to that, and whether it's been a good thing or a bad thing? i agree that the sense of personal attention and community at duke was/is outstanding. so much so that for me, you don't really realize that it's something you want out of a grad school until a school like duke offers it to you. and then when you stack that against the cold, hard, and relatively unfriendly atmospheres of some other schools, they don't compare. but how much should that really weigh in?

to the OP: good luck with your decision - i know it's tough to hear this right now amidst all the angst, but it's an excellent decision to have to make! i wouldn't worry too much about funding at one school versus another - your packages are relatively similar and i wouldn't let that be the deciding factor of your happiness. you've clearly done very well for yourself to have gotten full rides at 3 top schools. hopefully if someone can provide answers to the above questions it can help you figuring out duke v. chicago. locationwise: i'm somewhat anti durham, but it is only 2 years and maybe a great place for grad school (cheaper and less distractions but still great connections and reputation).

I'm also deciding between Duke and Chicago. I visited both last week and I basically agree with what's been said so far. Sanford seems like a much better-run program in terms of the actual administration and the career services department. Sanford seems smaller, much more practically-oriented, and a place where you might get more personal attention. On the other hand, it struck me as relatively less challenging academically. My impression is that it attracts a less quantitative group and the core classes might be less helpful if you already have a strong stats/research background.

I'm choosing Harris because I want the strong quant work and the chance to continue with higher level quant classes after the core, which doesn't seem to be available at Sanford (they claim they are but I don't think they are consistently available). I'm also still thinking about a PhD and I think that going to Harris is the clear choice in that situation. But, I recognize that if I choose to get a job, I'll probably have to work a little harder on my own to make it happen than I might at Sanford.

Also, although it's a tangential concern, I didn't like Durham at all. You've got to have a car and there's not a whole lot going on. I'm from CA and I worry about the Chicago winter, but I still think it is a more interesting place to be. Durham is definitely cheap, though.

All said, I agree about going with your gut. Both are solid programs with excellent reputations. The difference will be how you leverage the opportunities; neither will hold you back. I didn't apply to Georgetown because I wanted to get out of DC but I know some Gtown grads. The major advantage in that program is that you get to intern in DC while you're in school. If you know you want to be in DC, there's no doubt that that's an advantage.

Man, tough decision. Frankly, any of them will work out great, so don't be too worried.

I agree with the Harris grad about Harris' advantage in academia. I do feel it's the best pre-PhD program of the three. That said, one of the best pre-PhD things going is having no debt BEFORE you begin a 4-8 year program (during which interest keeps accruing) to get out and make maybe mid-$60s. It's tough to swallow debt if you plan on a PhD eventually. However, plans can change - there are apparently always a dozen Duke MPPs who want a PhD coming into the program and only two or three grads a year actually go that way.

I'm not familiar with GTown's program, though I believe I've heard its only a one year deal. That also has positives and negatives, as does GTown's professional and DC-centric focus.

I know you're surprised to hear this, but I think Duke is great. What can I say: I'm jealous of your full ride :) It may not be preferable to Harris for a future PhD application, but it isn't going to hurt you by any means. I would also say not to worry about Durham; it's honestly not an issue. Everyone worries about Durham (including me) coming into Duke and everyone realizes in about a week that it isn't an issue at all.

Good luck with your decision, you've got a great problem to have!

So I think I've at least decided that I'm definitely going to rule Harris out. It's a great program, they're great for quantitative stuff (which I like), and originally I thought it was the best fit for me...but it just didn't feel right when I visited. I just don't think it's the right place for me. And I'm not convinced that I can't get as much quantitative coursework as I want out of Duke or GPPI.

In that case, judging from the votes on the poll (and the posters above), it seems like most people think I should choose Duke over Georgetown. Anyone want to make a case for GPPI? If not, that may tell me everything I need to know about the two programs...

And by the way, thank you to everyone who's posted their thoughts so far! As much time as I've spent researching and debating the minutia of these schools, it's nice to hear some *relatively* unbiased opinions on this decision.

Edited by mppfreakout

I was considering GPPI and decided on Maxwell for several reasons, but there were a lot of things I liked about the GPPI. Here are my pros and cons:

Pros

1. Quantitative training; you take three semesters of it and you write a thesis that must incorporate an empirical study (not so much so that you can go on and have a career doing empirical studies, but so that you can evaluate the validity of empirical studies effectively in the future)

2. You can (after starting the MPP) apply to do a dual degree in econ which I believe -- though you should check this -- includes a bunch of Ph.D. level classes (kind of like the MPA-ID at Harvard)

3. The wealth of interesting electives they offer, which I think allows a degree of specialization not necessarily available at other schools, especially since you also do a thesis (I'm not sure if this is a good thing but it sounds interesting)

4. DC location -- it really is a plus, especially if you want to work in a federal agency (think about how much more quickly you'll get a job if you're interning with them and therefore already have a basic background check done)

5. I couldn't visit but I spoke with two students and both were totally positive about their experiences, and I get the feeling that students get along with each other pretty well -- there seems to be a strong and active student government.

Cons

1. The location is expensive, so rent would be high or the commute would be long

2. Relatively new program so its reputation is less established than Duke or Harris

3. Curriculum is potentially less rigorous than others, given that most people work 20 hours per week in addition to studying and seem to not be overwhelmed (which is not to say it's a party school -- one student I spoke with said "there are a lot of nerds here", in a positive way)

Edited by Minerva473