Does ‘admitted but on waitlist regarding financial support’ mean I should accept it?

dizzdizz

Question

Hello,
I got admission to one of the universities I applied to. But it said I have to wait before funding for me is permitted. Actually, it means I am on the waitlist regarding funding. I have thought that I just have to wait before the decision about my financial support is made. Because I will not be able to attend without funding, I think I should not accept the offer yet. 
However, one of my American friends said I have to accept the offer in order to be funded. I think it is weird. But he is an applicant for a Ph.D. program and an American unlike me, so I have become worried about my situation. 

Do I have to accept the offer in order to be funded?

Edited by dizzdizz

1 answer to this question

Don't accept the offer without funding. That implies you're willing to go regardless of the funding.

Just reply to the notice and say something to the effect that you're interested in attending if funding becomes available.