Cambridge (MPhil HPS) vs. LSE (MSc Phil. of Science) vs. St. Andrews (MLitt Phil.)

johannesorange

Hi,

I've been accepted to the above three programs, that is, to the MPhil in History and Philosophy of Science at Cambridge, the MSc in Philosophy of Science at LSE, and the MLitt in Philosophy at St. Andrews. They are all one year programs.

I graduated from an Ivy League school in 2016 with an AB in Philosophy with about a 3.8 average (3.7 in philosophy; GRE 170V, 150Q, 5.5), but haven't had luck with philosophy PhDs. My plan is indeed to apply again for a PhD in Philosophy and/or History and Philosophy of Science (HPS) beginning in 2021, ideally with a superior writing sample. I anticipated that I would have an easier time with masters programs than PhDs given the length of time I've been out of school. I'm curious to know whether some folks with familiarity with philosophy PhD admissions have an idea of what might be best for me this year. 

Some thoughts:

1) I am most excited about Cambridge HPS just from an objective perspective. It is an exciting program and is relatively prestigious by my lights. I am interested in Philosophy of Social Science/Economics and so my supervisor will be great. There are some caveats, however. Notably, there is no coursework. Basically you write three research essays and then a lengthier fourth "dissertation." The papers make up the entirety of the grade. This, I would imagine, will allow me to put together a solid sample during my first semester, plus solicit a good recommendation from my supervisor. That being said, it's possible I may need coursework to prove my "bona fides." I have a very solid background in philosophy personally, but I don't necessarily think it's reflected in my eclectic undergraduate transcript.

2) If coursework seems important, some part of me thinks that St. Andrews or LSE might be a better fit. Both are taught. Perhaps both are viewed more favorably for philosophy PhDs given that they are straight philosophy masters rather than HPS. (This hasn't been my impression but it's a possibility.) Given my interest in Phil. of Econ/Social Science, LSE might be on par with Cambridge. I don't know.

Imagine that I'm fully funded at all these programs for the purposes of discussion, and let me know what you think.

Thanks.

On 3/11/2020 at 9:32 PM, johannesorange said:

Hi,

I've been accepted to the above three programs, that is, to the MPhil in History and Philosophy of Science at Cambridge, the MSc in Philosophy of Science at LSE, and the MLitt in Philosophy at St. Andrews. They are all one year programs.

I graduated from an Ivy League school in 2016 with an AB in Philosophy with about a 3.8 average (3.7 in philosophy; GRE 170V, 150Q, 5.5), but haven't had luck with philosophy PhDs. My plan is indeed to apply again for a PhD in Philosophy and/or History and Philosophy of Science (HPS) beginning in 2021, ideally with a superior writing sample. I anticipated that I would have an easier time with masters programs than PhDs given the length of time I've been out of school. I'm curious to know whether some folks with familiarity with philosophy PhD admissions have an idea of what might be best for me this year. 

Some thoughts:

1) I am most excited about Cambridge HPS just from an objective perspective. It is an exciting program and is relatively prestigious by my lights. I am interested in Philosophy of Social Science/Economics and so my supervisor will be great. There are some caveats, however. Notably, there is no coursework. Basically you write three research essays and then a lengthier fourth "dissertation." The papers make up the entirety of the grade. This, I would imagine, will allow me to put together a solid sample during my first semester, plus solicit a good recommendation from my supervisor. That being said, it's possible I may need coursework to prove my "bona fides." I have a very solid background in philosophy personally, but I don't necessarily think it's reflected in my eclectic undergraduate transcript.

2) If coursework seems important, some part of me thinks that St. Andrews or LSE might be a better fit. Both are taught. Perhaps both are viewed more favorably for philosophy PhDs given that they are straight philosophy masters rather than HPS. (This hasn't been my impression but it's a possibility.) Given my interest in Phil. of Econ/Social Science, LSE might be on par with Cambridge. I don't know.

Imagine that I'm fully funded at all these programs for the purposes of discussion, and let me know what you think.

Thanks.

Given your interests, I would say LSE should easily be on par with Cambridge. I have been a student in the Department, and I can say that the teaching on courses such as Philosophy of Science (PH400) and Philosophy of Social Science (PH405) is excellent. The program is particularly helpful if you would like to get a better overview of the fields before applying. Further, the dissertation still allows for a significant research component. 

• 1 month later...

I would always choose the taught masters, so my vote is LSE. Philosophy PhD programs know that basically no one is able to write publishable papers before their PhD training, so they want to see that you have mastered the major broad discussions within your subfield (which coursework accomplishes)

Edited by PolPhil