Tea on Duquesne

Husserl

Hey everyone, 

So who has tea on Duquesne? Share need-to-know stuff about the program if you are there already. If you are accepted, got any tea on what the acceptance package is like? Are you leaning toward accepting or denying? If you are on a wait-list, you know your ranking? Have you visited? Got any tea? 

I am on the wait-list. I know that it is ranked, but I do not know my ranking. Was planning to visit, but it seems that it is impossible to do that now, considering that they are closed due to covid-19. What about you all? 

10 hours ago, Husserl said:

Hey everyone, 

So who has tea on Duquesne? Share need-to-know stuff about the program if you are there already. If you are accepted, got any tea on what the acceptance package is like? Are you leaning toward accepting or denying? If you are on a wait-list, you know your ranking? Have you visited? Got any tea? 

I am on the wait-list. I know that it is ranked, but I do not know my ranking. Was planning to visit, but it seems that it is impossible to do that now, considering that they are closed due to covid-19. What about you all? 

I’d be happy to talk with anyone about it. (Current Duq PhD)

14 hours ago, SmugSnugInARug said:

I’d be happy to talk with anyone about it. (Current Duq PhD)

What is the stipend like? Enough to live on? How are the faculty? Anyone to avoid? Did you get off the waitlist or immediate acceptance? How is the vibe?

On 3/13/2020 at 11:30 AM, Husserl said:

What is the stipend like? Enough to live on? How are the faculty? Anyone to avoid? Did you get off the waitlist or immediate acceptance? How is the vibe?

The stipend is fine, largely because Pittsburgh is cheap enough. Its neither a pro nor a con.

Faculty are all pretty great, but with one or two worth avoiding. Selcer in particular is spectacular. Evans is retiring, but will continue to teach one grad class/yr, and can still be on committees. We get to know the profs pretty well.

I got in off the top of the waitlist.

It feels like an academic island in a Catholic sea. The students are great and there’s a definitely a feeling of community, but the school at large runs into the usual problems Academia and Catholicism run into.

If you want more specifics, DM me.